586,075 active members*
4,325 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Daewoo/Doosan > New Doosan Puma 240B turning center ???????

New Doosan Puma 240B turning center ???????

I am going to take a look at a new PUma 240B tomorrow afternoon. I have a floor full of Haas equipment currently. After 16 years, being in business for myself, I feel its time to move into something more rigid, since we only run tool steels here.

If there is anything I really need to look at, or question, while Im there, what would it be. I have no experience with Doosan or Daewoo. What should I expect comparatively speaking to Haas's new ST line.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Gary

Hello Gary

Advantage Doosan - RUGGED. Rigid. Reliable.
    Advantage Doosn - Made with a 30 year lifespan.
    BIGGEST ADVANTAGE Doosan - Training is free for LIFE as long as you have a Doosan/Daewoo on the floor.

How do I know this?
    I'm the Training Coordinator for Doosan.

Let me know if I can help.

What kind of training classes are provided is there a web site I can go to look at whats available

I have a schedule I'd be glad to send.
    Classes are :
    Basic Mill
    Basic Lathe
    Renishaw Probe/GUI
    EZ Guide
    Advanced Turn/Multi axis
    Advanced Mill
    Maintenance

May I ask how does your lifetime training work? We are seriously considering a doosan puma tt1800sy2 thru hales machinery, and they are great about support. This lifetime training would be an ideal advantage point to tell the boss why we should consider new over used, as well as the applications support from hales and the issues one could get from buying a complicated 8 axis lathe used...

feel free to email me... machineshop at idfi dot com . thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasR View Post
    Hello Gary

Advantage Doosan - RUGGED. Rigid. Reliable.
    Advantage Doosn - Made with a 30 year lifespan.
    BIGGEST ADVANTAGE Doosan - Training is free for LIFE as long as you have a Doosan/Daewoo on the floor.

How do I know this?
    I'm the Training Coordinator for Doosan.

Let me know if I can help.
    I own several Doosan puma 400L lathes with programmable steady rest and tailstock. I am looking for some software that will allow me to post all of my steady rest and tailstock moves as a part of my program. We do very long shaft work (60-140inch long Mandrels with 32 finishes) and sometimes I have 10-12 different Z positions that the steady rest will be moved throughout the program. I am currently programming all of the SR and TS moves by hand but looking for a better option! Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by chucker View Post
    What kind of training classes are provided is there a web site I can go to look at whats available
    Training is available for :
    Basic Lathe
    Basic Mill
    Advanced Turn/multi axis
    Advanced Mill/multi axis
    Renishaw-GUI probe
    EZ Guide i
    Maintenance/Service

All classes are provided free of charge to owners of Doosan CNC's, at our gorgeous Pine Brook, NJ facility.
    Lunch is included compliments of Doosan.
    Classes are two days in length - from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
    Students receive a certificate of completion from Doosan at the end of the class.
    All classes are a combination of classroom instruction and hands on training on our showroom floor.
    Class size ranges from 2-12 students - no more than 12 ever.
    Course materials are provided in both hard copy and electronic formats.

Best of all - As long as you have a Doosan on your floor, training and support are FREE for you and your employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane123 View Post
    May I ask how does your lifetime training work? We are seriously considering a doosan puma tt1800sy2 thru hales machinery, and they are great about support. This lifetime training would be an ideal advantage point to tell the boss why we should consider new over used, as well as the applications support from hales and the issues one could get from buying a complicated 8 axis lathe used...

feel free to email me... machineshop at idfi dot com . thanks!
    Hales is a fantastic distributor, no doubt about it.
    See my post above about training.
    Lifetime training works as this :
    As long as you have a Doosan CNC on your floor, training is FREE for you and your employees at our gorgeous Pine Brook, NJ facility. Just like that!

thanks douglas. after seeing this and bringing it up with hales, they confirmed the lifetime training and said they would also be able to handle it in their showrooms as well. I figured the lifetime applications support meant only applications, but they confirmed the training is also lifetime. granted, you only get the one time at the customers shop floor training after the installation, but any other training needed would be handled at their premises, unless we were to hire them to come out to our shop floor.

and yes, hales staff have been very helpful so far. So much that its a definite factor in our choice. They definitely support the Doosan lines very well!

We've got a 240B that is 6 years old. We bought it new. It's been a good machine. Better overall in my opinion than a Haas. Good solid iron. We haven't had many problems with it all. Over the course of 6 years I can honestly say I can count the issues on 1 hand, can't say that about my other equipment. We lost a coolant pump a few months ago, and recently a switch and a solenoid for the turret. The coolant pump was about $1300 and the other two parts were about $500. This was the only things we had go wrong in 6 years. Because of the reliability we bought a used TT1800sy last winter. It's been a solid machine as well. We had to replace a coolant pump with this one too, it cost a little more since it is bigger more powerful pump, about $1500. Apparently there was an issue with some of the older pumps, and they were a third party not made by Doosan.

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasR View Post
    Training is available for :
    Basic Lathe
    Basic Mill
    Advanced Turn/multi axis
    Advanced Mill/multi axis
    Renishaw-GUI probe
    EZ Guide i
    Maintenance/Service

All classes are provided free of charge to owners of Doosan CNC's, at our gorgeous Pine Brook, NJ facility.
    Lunch is included compliments of Doosan.
    Classes are two days in length - from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
    Students receive a certificate of completion from Doosan at the end of the class.
    All classes are a combination of classroom instruction and hands on training on our showroom floor.
    Class size ranges from 2-12 students - no more than 12 ever.
    Course materials are provided in both hard copy and electronic formats.

Best of all - As long as you have a Doosan on your floor, training and support are FREE for you and your employees.
    Doug, I reached out to the local distributor about the turn/mill classes several months ago and haven't heard back from them. I have one guy who is trained and up to speed, but want to cross train some of the other guys specifically my foremen. He's got solid milling setup and programming skills, and we're teaching when we can on the 2 axis Doosan 240B. When are the turn/mill classes. We have a TT1800sy and are only about 1.5 hours away from your NJ facility and would like to get in there for some training.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Sqwerl View Post
    We've got a 240B that is 6 years old. We bought it new. It's been a good machine. Better overall in my opinion than a Haas. Good solid iron. We haven't had many problems with it all. Over the course of 6 years I can honestly say I can count the issues on 1 hand, can't say that about my other equipment. We lost a coolant pump a few months ago, and recently a switch and a solenoid for the turret. The coolant pump was about $1300 and the other two parts were about $500. This was the only things we had go wrong in 6 years. Because of the reliability we bought a used TT1800sy last winter. It's been a solid machine as well. We had to replace a coolant pump with this one too, it cost a little more since it is bigger more powerful pump, about $1500. Apparently there was an issue with some of the older pumps, and they were a third party not made by Doosan.
    The coolant pump problem has been rectified, and you are correct, it was a third party part. We tossed a pallet load of those things in the trash - literally all of 'em were bad. Other than that, our machines are reliable, rugged, and will make money!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Sqwerl View Post
    Doug, I reached out to the local distributor about the turn/mill classes several months ago and haven't heard back from them. I have one guy who is trained and up to speed, but want to cross train some of the other guys specifically my foremen. He's got solid milling setup and programming skills, and we're teaching when we can on the 2 axis Doosan 240B. When are the turn/mill classes. We have a TT1800sy and are only about 1.5 hours away from your NJ facility and would like to get in there for some training.
    Check your private mail.

Steady Rest along with the bracket can be moved by turret. The programming can be done in the part programming itself. For more details, pl contact us.

We are from ARMS Steady Rest based in India.