586,096 active members*
3,762 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Chinese driver board, adding 4th axis. Need a little bit of help.

Chinese driver board, adding 4th axis. Need a little bit of help.

Ok so i got one of those ebay cnc engraving machines and now i want to add a 4th axis to its controller board. It just so happens it allready has pins pulled out for just that.
    Take a look:
    http://i46.tinypic.com/2qs14x3.jpg

Now i need to connect that board to one of these drivers.

Stepstick A4988 Stepper Driver Pololu RepRap Prusa Mendel Sanguinololu Ramps | eBay

I wont need nothing more then 2 amps and i have a few at home.

So come on you electronic experts. Im a complete newb when it come to this. What needs to connect where.

Thx in andvance.

I can not be certain without seeing a schematic of your breakout board.

Normally you would expect CP+ and CP- to be the step signal terminals which would connect to similarly-marked terminals on an optoisolator-input stepper driver, and DIR+ and DIR- would be the direction signals which would also connect to similarly-marked terminals on such a driver.

The problem that I have without seeing a schematic is that the Stepstick driver does not have optoisolated inputs for step and direction signals, and there are two different ways that the CP+/CP- and DIR+/DIR- terminals on your board could be wired. For example, one way that they might have set it up would have a steady +5 volts on CP+ while the step signal would be present on the CP- terminal. However it is also likely that they could have set it up so that the step signal is applied to CP+ and ground is applied to CP-. (Ditto for the DIR+/DIR- pins).

So that leads to a dilemma, one that could be solved either by doing some electronic testing or by wiring up an optoisolator between your breakout board and the Stepstick.

Since you're a self-admitted "complete newb" when it comes to electronics, your safest bet would be to find a friend who is an electronics enthusiast, hopefully one who has access to an oscilloscope or at least to a multimeter (and maybe also to a soldering iron), offer him a beer or two, and have him help out.

Failing that, I could suggest some tests that you might be able to do with a multimeter to help you figure things out (albeit with some guesswork), but with the attendant risk that you could inadvertently mess up and let out some smoke from one or the other of the circuit boards.

Hey and thank you for that extensive answer, which shortly meens i would be better of on buying a completly new 4 axis driver board. Im doing a repstrap 3d printer and i was hoping to run my extruder on that 4th axis.