586,781 active members*
3,090 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Tooling for my CNC mill. 1 collet fits all?

Tooling for my CNC mill. 1 collet fits all?

I am in the process of setting up my CNC mill. I have a Kress 1050 spindle. I have 2 collets for it - 8mm and 1/4 inch.

I am looking at buying a set of milling bits - rough cutting bits and finishing bits. (I have not learnt all the terminology yet)

Is it possible to find a set of bits ranging from M2 or M3 up to something like M12 that will fit into the collets that I have? I don't want to have to buy a collet for each sized bit if I can help it to save on costs.

So what I am asking is where I could find a set of affordable milling cutters that share the same shank size?

Thanks
    Jack

Alternatively, does anyone know a place to buy inexpensive collets for Kress spindles?

You can have your tooling custom made.
    I bet collets are cheaper after 2 or 3 though
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Hmmmm, you are stuck in finding tools that have 4mm shanks for up to whatever size they come in, and then sourcing the bigger cutters all with 8mm shank sizes, if that is a common shank size.

I have a feeling that 1/4" shanks are pretty standard for a lot of cutters etc, but I don't know about the 8mm size.

Alternatively you could make a set of split sleeves for all those odd sized shank cutters you find on Ebay and make them to 8mm OD......needs a lathe and how to use it.

BTW, are the collets ER type?......if they are, then a few that cover your tooling and drill size range are quite cheap even bought singly, as they do squeeze down between sizes.

If it is ER in the spindle, then it sounds like ER 11 or so for that max size of 8mm.

You'll only want a few in that case.

A photo of one of your collets would help to identify it as either ER or one dedicated to your spindle.

As an example, I have a set of ER32 collets and they can be used for all diams from 2mm right up to 20mm with the collets being able to squeeze down between sizes for 1mm.

If you have ER taper in the spindle your problems are over.
    Ian.

If you can get a collet chuck like the Centaur RD-11 81156 or 141154, to chuck up into your existing collets, then you could use ER-11 collets to get the full range of it's size capacity. I do this with my Precision brand 45,000 RPM spindle because the collets are special and expensive and I only have a 1/8" and 1/4" that came with it. Problem is it will stick out of the spindle further, but they are balanced to handle very high RPM's. You can limit how far it sticks out by cutting some of the shank off.

Collet Chucks - Products