587,475 active members*
3,496 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > Testing out madCAM. Will it do want I want?

Hybrid View

Testing out madCAM. Will it do want I want?

I'm considering purchasing madCAM and Rhino 3d. I have some questions and have run into my first issue with trying to select my stock. Please check out the video. Let me know if you think it'll work for what I'm trying to do. I don't want to spend too much time learning a new CAD and CAM package if I should look at something else. I'm open to CAM suggestions in the sub $4k range.

madCAM help 1 - YouTube

Thanks,
    Kevin

If I ignore the error and continue on it works. Next question is why is the stock not showing up in the simulation?

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Simulation.jpg  

The error was being caused by a conflict with RhinoCAM. I uninstalled it and the error went away. I also think I figured out how to set the origin and the axes of the rotary tilt. I can't post in demo mode. Have any of you had success posting arcs in the YZ and XZ planes?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Rhino: If you double click on the upper left menu where it says "Perspective", it will take the entire view space. Double click again and it goes back to normal quad view. You have the commands in the Standard-toolbar.

The stock model is only visible in 3 axis mode, but I do remember that it has been mentioned to be added in future releases for all machining features (4x and 5x). You still should choose the stock model to make more effective tool paths. You can actually see that in your simulation, the tool path is cylindrical not rectangular.

Have any of you had success posting arcs in the YZ and XZ planes?

What do you mean by that?

What I'm looking for is code like this:

G18
    G2 X-19.715 Z-6.502 I0.218 J-8.381"

instead of breaking it into lines like this:

G17
    G1 X-20.254 Z-6.306
    X-20.252 Z-6.308
    X-20.251 Z-6.31
    X-20.25 Z-6.313

When it's broken into segments, the 4 sides ended up being 45,000 lines of code and the machine has trouble drip feeding smoothly. Also the part ended up being faceted.

At some point last night, after spending about 15 hours playing with both programs, I had that Eureka moment when everything started coming together. Rhino seems like it'll let me do anything I can imagine. I still need to know about posting arcs in G18, G19.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Kevin I have a phone conference set up with Joakim sometime Monday morning and I will bring this to his attention. I am not 100% sure, but I think all of Madcam's tool paths are g1. I will find that out as well tomorrow.

Check your pm as well.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by ka67_72 View Post
    What I'm looking for is code like this:

G18
    G2 X-19.715 Z-6.502 I0.218 J-8.381"

instead of breaking it into lines like this:

G17
    G1 X-20.254 Z-6.306
    X-20.252 Z-6.308
    X-20.251 Z-6.31
    X-20.25 Z-6.313

When it's broken into segments, the 4 sides ended up being 45,000 lines of code and the machine has trouble drip feeding smoothly. Also the part ended up being faceted.

At some point last night, after spending about 15 hours playing with both programs, I had that Eureka moment when everything started coming together. Rhino seems like it'll let me do anything I can imagine. I still need to know about posting arcs in G18, G19.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    That's how 3D surface tool paths are made, it's not specific to MadCAM. The path generator is looking for coordinates where the tool is touching the model and then find a new collision free position from that point. if you want an arc instead the computer needs to calculate the path in advance or post calculate the path to find lines that can be translated into curves.
    Before that will happen, you better buy yourself a nasty fast computer...

Quote Originally Posted by svenakela View Post
    That's how 3D surface tool paths are made, it's not specific to MadCAM. The path generator is looking for coordinates where the tool is touching the model and then find a new collision free position from that point. if you want an arc instead the computer needs to calculate the path in advance or post calculate the path to find lines that can be translated into curves.
    Before that will happen, you better buy yourself a nasty fast computer...
    I'm putting this reply on 2 threads where you've stated arc fitting is difficult and you would need a supercomputer.

Well I have another CAM program that does arc fitting and it is very fast. I've attached 2 screen shots showing one file with all G01 moves 76274 lines and one with arcs fitted only 19335 lines. The conversion took less than 2 seconds!. The program first calculates the tool path with G01 moves then you can apply arc fitting.

Attachment 185466
    Attachment 185468

I think the bigger challenge is the post processor getting the G2/G3 output correct in three planes wouldn't be easy.

Personally I'd be happy if just the 2d tool paths could be out put as lines and arcs, then I could use it for my wire eroder and not have to use another program.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by hughesbros View Post
    I'm putting this reply on 2 threads where you've stated arc fitting is difficult and you would need a supercomputer.

Well I have another CAM program that does arc fitting and it is very fast. I've attached 2 screen shots showing one file with all G01 moves 76274 lines and one with arcs fitted only 19335 lines. The conversion took less than 2 seconds!. The program first calculates the tool path with G01 moves then you can apply arc fitting.

Attachment 185466
    Attachment 185468

I think the bigger challenge is the post processor getting the G2/G3 output correct in three planes wouldn't be easy.

Personally I'd be happy if just the 2d tool paths could be out put as lines and arcs, then I could use it for my wire eroder and not have to use another program.

Mark
    Why the cross posting? I'll respond in the other thread.

Mike,
    I tried to reply to your PM but your box is full.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Kevin try again.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Only because someone else might read one thread and not the other.