586,075 active members*
4,224 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamBam > Milling external Radius

Milling external Radius

Hi Guys

I have a round bar of ~42mm mounted vertically and I need to create a 6mm radius around the corner. I would be using a ball-nose cutter of 8mm diameter.
    I can set this up manually with a lot of circular cuts at varying depths. But it's a lot of work.
    I can set this up with exporting a surface from Rhino, but the cut results aren't as smooth as it's a faceted surface.

Is there a more automated way I can do it? No big problem if there isn't, but it'd be great if there was.

Cheers
    Dougal

I have lost count of the CAMBAM cuts I have run over the years. It's been phenomenal. But I keep finding new ways to challenge myself and my tools.
    My X2 CNC Brain Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61345
    Gecko G250 wiring errors: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68960

You could use a lathe and a form tool.

You could buy a corner rounding endmill with 6mm radius. Like this: National Supply Source Niagara Cutter Metric Corner Rounding End Mills - High Speed Steel - Niagara Cutter Metric Corner Rounding End Mills - High Speed Steel Product Page

You could grind the radius into a lathe toolbit mounted in a flycutter body and use that.

You could use a boring head with a similar radiused cutter installed, facing inward.

I think the easiest way with an 8mm ball would be to just make a series of circular passes. If you have any skill at all in VB or something similar you could automate it quite easily.

Good Luck
    Matt

Use a side profil.
    Your bar is 42mm - 2x radius =30mm
    draw a circle 30mm
    Use a profile mop, cut outside, depth increment 0.3 or 0.5 as smaller as finer, target depth -6 (like the radius).
    Use a side profil Convex Radius, Value 6 (like the radius).
    Adjust Cutwith= true for roughing, false for finish

Use your 8mm ballnose cutter
    *ralf

Quote Originally Posted by ralfg View Post
    Use a side profil.
    Your bar is 42mm - 2x radius =30mm
    draw a circle 30mm
    Use a profile mop, cut outside, depth increment 0.3 or 0.5 as smaller as finer, target depth -6 (like the radius).
    Use a side profil Convex Radius, Value 6 (like the radius).
    Adjust Cutwith= true for roughing, false for finish

Use your 8mm ballnose cutter
    *ralf
    Thanks Ralf. For some reason I didn't get the reply notification for this. I just found the side-profile arc yesterday when I was trying to apply a slope to a side profile. I can't beleive I was doing this manually when the option was already there.

I continue to be astounded by the features in CAMBAM. It's such a powerful tool and I keep finding more.

Matt, yes I already have 4mm radius cutters. Just needed a 6. But all sorted now.
    My X2 CNC Brain Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61345
    Gecko G250 wiring errors: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68960