587,331 active members*
3,296 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Hi,

I have been using Kavo and other HF spindles for a while now.

As for Kavo, they are very expensive I would say. A small 150 watt spindle alone can cost upto 1500 euros and another 5-800 for the drive.

I would suggest you pick up an 80K rpm Quietdrill ( 1 Hp) spindle refurbished from Jevco for about $900, should be as good as new and you can drive it straight off a Danfoss VLT 2800 series drive at about 60K rpm.

Some issues you could have is that the spindle comes with a 1/8" collet and is watercooled as compared to some of the Kavo spindles.

Best of luck

I was at a store yesterday and overheard a conversation about brushless motors. What caught my attention was that they were talking about a motor the size of a beer can that could put out 5 hp and another that was 15 hp and the size of a coffe can. The 5 hp one was on a go-cart. Sorry but I had to go and was unable to break into the conversation to find out any details. Maybe someone else here can help or has heard of something like this.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

Very interesting 2Much That would make a small spindle yet have decent hp!!

I've sorta started looking back at routers again. I came across a Dewalt 625 model, 3hp comes w/ a dust extration head and has variable speed via high quality electronic's [ whatever that is]. I'm wondering if this is some type of VFD device on their router or??? Also would it be possible to put a VFD driver onto a router motor? Does VFD only work w/ 3 phase motor's??

I wish there was a decently priced.. QUIET router.. would make me' life alot easyier!!

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

DRK, you say you've been using an HF spindle, how loud is it in comparison to say a router?? I've been getting price's from various suppliers for spindles and HF drives [etc] and can't believe the price's. I've been spending money hand over fist on this project and have very little as of yet to show for it. I'm not so simple as to doubt that this is going to take some serious cash to get up and running, but when I get a ~$10,000 quote for spindles and its misc. parts... thats 50% again more than I planned to spend on my entire system! There has to be a better way. I'll have to look into this Jevco Spindle..

All along this thread, I've been assuming that the VFD/HF spindles are quiet, however It would be good to have someone who's using one validate if they are or not!!

Thanks
    Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by JerryFlyGuy
    DRK, you say you've been using an HF spindle, how loud is it in comparison to say a router??
    The 10HP spindles on our router at work are probably much quieter at any speed than my porter cable 892 at 10,000 rpm, it's slowest settings. The actual cutting makes far more noise than the motor. I recall hereing that the 2.68HP spindle here can be had for $2000-$3000. http://www.ekstromcarlson.com/router_packages.htm
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Quote Originally Posted by ger21
    The 10HP spindles on our router at work are probably much quieter at any speed than my porter cable 892 at 10,000 rpm, it's slowest settings. The actual cutting makes far more noise than the motor. I recall hereing that the 2.68HP spindle here can be had for $2000-$3000. http://www.ekstromcarlson.com/router_packages.htm

I've noticed the samething on my router at work, its also a 10hp, Its like a whisper compared to my Porter Cable 690.

Thank's guy's!! I know that there is still going to be conciderable noise due to the tool cutting but.. I might as well try and kill all the noise I can w/ discression [sp] in what I buy. I'm going to have to sound proof my garage anyway.. but hopefully to a lesser extent w/ a HF style drive.

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy