586,119 active members*
3,514 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Support for leafboy77 USB BOB

I have bought a USB breakoutboard Leafboy77, for 4 axis. I think it's also called AKZ250.
    But I have problem though I need a slave axis.
    I have set it up as X, Y and Z axis, and added A axis as slave.
    But A axis doesn't move.
    I can run all axis separate.
    Anyone know how to set this up for slave, or does this card not support slave axis?

Hej Lars, :wave:

A stupid question or three... Which software are you using? Is it configured for slave drive? Is it possible to configure so that A becomes something else, for example Z? If yes, try A as another axis and see if it moves as if it was that axis.

Edit:

In the meantime I googled a little and found this page:

http://leafboy77.com/index.php/en/

You may already have had a look, but I was curious and went through the manual. It seems to be a very nice card and the documentation seems excellent compared with what I received with my card. Anyway, if you have not seen that page before then I'd advise you to download the Word manual. It is easy to create an almost 100% English manual, just remove the Chinese pages since almost every second page is duplicated, one in Chinese one in English of the same page. Beware that NOT all the pages are duplicated, some are mixed, so you can't remove every page with Chinese text.

Anyway, after having had a look at the manual I may also buy a card like that in the future, once I am ready with the mechanical parts of my ongoing CNC project.

There is no stupid questions.
    Software i use is Mach3.
    And yes, it should be configured for slave axis.
    I have run it with slave before, but with another bob.

Got in contact with the seller.
    It does not support slave axis.
    Wich makes me a little angry, though in my opinon should it be told in the advertising.
    Firts de he send a card for 3 axis, then he had to resend one with 4 axis. And now he tells me, that it doesn' support slave axis. Wich i need though I have 2 motor system for my gantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars65 View Post
    Wich makes me a little angry, though in my opinon should it be told in the advertising.
    Firts de he send a card for 3 axis, then he had to resend one with 4 axis. And now he tells me, that it doesn' support slave axis. Wich i need though I have 2 motor system for my gantry.

You can connect 2 stepper drives to one set of step/direction wires and they will be slaved.

Yes, but how do you make a good homing of the drives?
    Now will I be looking for another bob, and I am looking at PMDX-126.
    So anybody interested in buying a Leafboy77 BOB 4 axis?

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    You can connect 2 stepper drives to one set of step/direction wires and they will be slaved.
    It is my understanding that this is not advisable. If one side gets a tiny offset for any reason then your machine is not going to be accurate and may even break after a while. Normally you drive each motor with one driver/port combination and not connect them parallel. I would definitely buy a proper card if slaving was my goal.

That's really bad news. I wonder why it is a problem. Probably a small firmware update is needed. Try to communicate with the seller, perhaps they issue a new firmware. Slaving is really important and I don't think it is so difficult to implement at the BOB level, I don't know why he missed that in the design.

I agree, it should have been listed in the manual and in the ad, after all, he is advertising this card as especially suitable for Mach3, and Mach3 has a nice support for slaving.

Yes, but how do you make a good homing of the drives?
    Now will I be looking for another bob, and I am looking at PMDX-126.
    So anybody interested in buying a Leafboy77 BOB 4 axis?
    I think you should ask for your money back. After all, he is saying in the ad: "Fully supporting all Mach3 versions, including the Mach3 R3.043.066 version" which is not really true.