586,121 active members*
3,758 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

FSLaser vector cut question

I have everything hooked up and working. The issue I'm having is vector cutting. So far the ONLY thing I can get to actually cut is some very thin cardstock. So here is my question to the masses, what readily available material do you all use for testing / learning? My eventual plans call for cutting very thin wood 1/16th to 1/8th but right now I just need something that give consistant results so I know what I get is what I should get. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Russ 40w Hobby Deluxe Laser

So, why can it only cut the thin stuff? It should be able to cut 3mm mdf slowly, though mine used to do 3mm mdf in two passes.

Try testing on whatever you are going to cut, if whatever you are going to cut isn't unique or too expensive (though you are going to have to do this eventually).

Have you checked the mirror alignment and made sure the turn pot is set to the correct Amps to give you correct power?

Make sure the water and air assist is on.

Oh, also, check all your mirrors and lenses are clean and also free of that hot glue crap the FSE guys like to spread around.

Bec, thanks to all that replied via pm's and here. It turns out that the majority of the issues I was / am having are all material related. I found a scrap of balsa in my shop and gave it a try and it cut perfectly which is what I was looking for. Soooooooo the bottomline is the software was working, the machine was working, I just did'nt have a clue as to what a laser could really cut. So now my next question to the assembled group is what do you use for doing your testing / cutting that is inexpensive enough you don't mind wasting some? Thanks again for all of your help, I really do appreciate it. Russ

3mm mdf for consistency of product and ease of availability (though the thickness of 3mm mdf can vary by up to 0.5mm in my experience)
    3mm ply gave me too many issues with inconsistencies caused by knots and varying glue thickness (probably an Australian thing though).

Consistency of thickness and construction will play a big part in what you can cut and what you cannot, in one pass with a 40w (which ISN'T cutting at 40W)

If you are going to cut balsa, why not practice cutting on that?

Bec, the balsa was just because I had something else to try. It is way to fragile at 1/32 inch to make small parts out of. It did show me that most of my issues were ply related and that all has to do with what kinds of glue the ply might have. I have a source for some 1/32 basswood and I'll give that a try. I know several model making companies that use a 1/32 ply on their machines so I just need to find that source and start using that as that is my target material. Again thanks for the replies. Russ

Thanks for the links. I'll see if any of these folks have what I'm looking for. Russ

Russ,

16th balsa will cut with a 1watt diode laser.....

A true 40 watt tube should easily cut medite MDF (not the local diy store stuff) at around 12mm to 14mm per second.

Much less than that and you haver problems of another sort.

cheers

Dave