586,103 active members*
3,349 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Floating Torch Head

My machine has changed over the years as I live and learn about the process. I've been using a Rutex "automatic" THC with proximity sensors to find the metal for the past few years, and now I want to go up on the ladder a few steps with a full featured THC. CandCNC's unit will be then one I use.

So many use the floating head method but there really isn't much talk about the way to build one. I built a floating head of a different design. I was trying to keep the torch close to the gantry and not hang it way out in front like a few designs. And, incorporate a breakaway mount too.

So here are a few photos of my stuff...

Thanks for looking. AJ

Here the rest of the photos....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 010.jpg  

Last two....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 011.jpg   012.jpg  

Looking good. Not sure why you needed all the switches. Mine only uses one. My Z does home on the plate though. I have a floating spindle along side my torch too. I had intended to install an air scribe on mine, but the die grinder I use works so well, that I won't be complicating matters with an air scribe.

I did a lot of research too when I was trying to design mine. There is fairly little information, but I finally pried out enough info from nooks and crannies on the net so that I could fill in the blanks.

Mine is farther away from the gantry as well. I wound up using a Z axis from Ebay. It all does work well though.
    I will be designing a breakaway very soon.
    I have the rare earth magnets already.
    Is your torch going to be swivel mounted?

Sorry, didn't catch the last two pics.
    So you can miter and gouge with that setup? Nice.
    Lee

Two switches on the right are just limit switches to limit the travel of the ball screw and bellows. I only want to streatch the bellows just so far for them to live. Programming mistakes are easy so they will help save my pieces and parts from damage. Only so much money to go around...

The swivel mount is something I was using on my older design so I put it on here. It's mainly to square up the torch and located the torch tip at the majic depth to get full movement from my ball screw.

There are two 40lb pull magnets that hold the torch plate in place along with two locating pins...

thanks, AJ

You have done a fine conversion there AJ, a great set of pictures there as well.

I think LW was referring to the fact you could have used just one switch and 2 vanes.
    A lazy man does it twice.

I didn't realize he was using Servo's when I said that. You always want all switches on a servo based machine.
    I actually plunged my stepper based plasma into a hole in the plate yesterday by accident. No problems. The stepper just stalled. A servo won't be as forgiving with a knucklehead move like that.
    Lee

If there is a mistake to be made, I've done it that's for sure and still have some around the corner I'm sure. If a guy is going to work, he's going to screw up sooner or later....

With the plasma process, we need to keep our guard up all the time.

AJ