586,216 active members*
3,340 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Fadec looks like a mini machining center
Page 1 of 2 12

Fadec looks like a mini machining center

Fadec UMC10 CNC Milling Center | eBay

The computer monitor and z travel of only 8.5 inches helps put its size into perspective. Just thought others might like a look at what I saw on eBay.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISzkthutKnA]Scratch Built mini version of Fadal's VMC 15 - YouTube[/ame]

Video putting its capabilities into perspective. I sucked air (mentally) when I saw the fly cutter =)

Bought a 4020 almost 10 years ago... Great machine!

It'll be interesting to see if these take off.

It looks like a great mill, but for perspective a haas tm-1 is 29K:
    Haas TM-1 | Haas Automation, Inc. | CNC Machine Tools

Quote Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post
    Pound for pound, the Haas is a better deal, but it's also a much bigger machine, and the 40 taper means more expensive tooling, and Haas is an all extras are extras company.

Given the size and capability, the Fadal offspring isn't a bad idea.. even if the tool change will put you to sleep.

One sweet little machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Smertrios View Post
    Fadec UMC10 CNC Milling Center | eBay

The computer monitor and z travel of only 8.5 inches helps put its size into perspective. Just thought others might like a look at what I saw on eBay.
    Thanks for the post, unfortunately it is out of my personal price range. I worry a bit about that Z travel but I'm not sure how that is measured.

If Dave could get a bit more exposure I'm certain he could sell more than a few of these machines. It is a nice little machine that could serve small job shops well.

Here is a machine with a similar price but with a BT30 spindle and 220 3-phase power.

Bolton Tools 3 Axis CNC Milling Machine Mill Drill with 10 Position Tool Changer | eBay

I personally think there's a market for really small machines, in terms of footprint, weight and power requirements.

My main evidence for that thought is that personally I am limited on all 3 fronts and yet I still have a concrete use for a small CNC mill.

If I could get a machine with a work area of 12x6x3 that was sturdy, had an ATC and could cut steel all day I would do it. Then I would spend my weekends and evenings CNC machining custom knives and probably pay for the machine in less than a year.

Something like the UMC10 is definitely more likely to find it's way into my shop than a full-size VMC, or even the other 'mini' VMCs!
    Gough Custom - http://goughcustom.com/

If there was an abundance of such machines and they were as cheap as we would all like them to be, then "everyone" would be making knives and you might have a hard time paying for the machine anyway

Quote Originally Posted by TiagoSantos View Post
    If there was an abundance of such machines and they were as cheap as we would all like them to be, then "everyone" would be making knives and you might have a hard time paying for the machine anyway
    And the world would be a better place for it!

Quote Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post
    The TM-1P has a 10 tool carousel and is $36,000 (61% more $$$) I dont think the TM-1 has a tool changer.

Quote Originally Posted by TiagoSantos View Post
    I work in a very large plant and frankly you don't have a thing to worry about. Stupid out weighs capable by at least a 100 to 1!

Fadec looks like a mini machining center

How the hell do you use a ATC with R8 collets. And the spindle has drive dogs. Somthin fishy there. Other than that, not a bad deal. Hass tm1 is over 30k with a toolchanger now. He made fadal work, so don't see why it won't take off.

IMO Spindle taper is the number one area of stupidity in ALL the small CNC (Fadec, Tormach, Novakon, Syil, ETC).
    To use a VMC as a money maker you need to be able to install preset length tools at very minimum and should be viable for an ATC.
    R8 is absolutely NOT suirable (Dont start a "what about the TTS system" argument here - this is crap in the real world).
    There is no reason why all this machines couldnt come with a BT30 for very much the same money.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    IMO Spindle taper is the number one area of stupidity in ALL the small CNC (Fadec, Tormach, Novakon, Syil, ETC).
    To use a VMC as a money maker you need to be able to install preset length tools at very minimum and should be viable for an ATC.
    R8 is absolutely NOT suirable (Dont start a "what about the TTS system" argument here - this is crap in the real world).
    There is no reason why all this machines couldnt come with a BT30 for very much the same money.
    FYI: Tormach offers BT30 spindles as an option:
    PCNC 1100 CNC Milling Machine Specifications
    BT30 Spindle Cartridge | Tormach LLC providers of personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items.

Although I don't know if the BT30 spindle will work with thier ATC.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    How the hell do you use a ATC with R8 collets. And the spindle has drive dogs. Somthin fishy there. Other than that, not a bad deal. Hass tm1 is over 30k with a toolchanger now. He made fadal work, so don't see why it won't take off.
    I believe either its a modifed R8 spindle to work with retention knobs, or its uses an R8 pneumatic drawbar.

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    I'm not trying to start a flame war asking this, I'm interested in machine design and that means I like hearing feedback from people about why a certain thing does or doesn't work.

How come you don't like the TTS system?

Accumulated error in both concentricity and tool harmonics is number 1 issue.
    Limited holding power of the R8 design
    Extended gauge length also affects rigidity.
    With a CAT 40 you can get an ER collet or a heat shrink holder that has gauge length of .5" - the ultimate in accuracy and rigidity

The TTS is a band-aid solution instead of addressing the root of the issue
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by TechGuy5002 View Post
    I believe either its a modifed R8 spindle to work with retention knobs, or its uses an R8 pneumatic drawbar.
    No way. i think who ever wrote the listing is wrong. look at the hole size in the spindle, and the ATC pockets. I'm betting its a CT30. Would be WAAAY more work to modify a R8 than to simply install a CT spindle.

He states in the video that it is a custom tool holder with a retention knob.

I would have jumped at a machine like that if it had more Z height. 8.5" is not enough. I am lucky to get by with the 14" on my 770.

Wade

Page 1 of 2 12