586,119 active members*
3,646 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Choosing servos and drivers

Choosing servos and drivers

I am helping a friend convert a Warthog 4'x8' CNC router from steppers to servos. We have been told that with the existing gear reduction we need 800W servos.

We are using WinCNC as the controller, and need a servo driver that handles the error correction in the driver.

Any ideas?

If you need more info about the machine just ask.

Thanks,
    James
    James Harvey
    Harvey Development Corp.
    www.Harvey-Development.com

36" x 52" CNC Router
    ULS-25E 12" x 24" Laser Engraver

wow! sounds overkill. since u r hlping him, why not help him right size the new motors by using a motor sizing program for him, rathr than relying on someone elses guess? for instance:

MOTIONEERING® | Kollmorgen

no guessing involved!

Quote Originally Posted by mike_Kilroy View Post
    wow! sounds overkill. since u r hlping him, why not help him right size the new motors by using a motor sizing program for him, rathr than relying on someone elses guess? for instance:

MOTIONEERING® | Kollmorgen

no guessing involved!
    We were told by the manufacturer that 800W servos would be the right sized motor with our current gear reduction, so it's not really guesswork.

Can you suggest a servo/driver combination?
    James Harvey
    Harvey Development Corp.

36" x 52" CNC Router

Quote Originally Posted by jharvey407 View Post
    Can you suggest a servo/driver combination?
    nope. no info to decide from. too much 'guesswork' remains. for instance....

what is part no of present motors(s)? how many? x,y,& & rotary table? tilt axes? what size is(are) present motor? shaft dia? length? mounting BC? pilot dia? any length issues? diam issues for replacement? what is part no of present driver? what is supply voltage? current? how to control? step/dir? analog input? 0-5v? +/-10v? any size issues in cabinet for replacement drives? need premade motor cables? how long? any flex?

someone should go thru motor sizing program such as I suggested, for each axis, to determine application info like what is top speed required? torque required? reflected inertia of the load? supplying replacement motors & drives without all this info would be crazy.

I can supply you 800watt motors that have inertia so much lower than your machines you would never be able to tune them, or so high you would never be able to accelerate them in time wanted (which is what?). I can provide you an 800 watt motor rated 800watts at 12,000rpm so its torque will be so low it will not move the slides. Or I can supply you an 800watt motor with so much torque it would move your friend's shop down the street, but you probably would not be happy with the 0.25IPM max traverse speed capability....

Once all this is nailed down, then I would be very happy to provide some options from our bag of tricks as I am sure others would!

Thanks, but the local Yaskawa rep came by and sorted things out for us.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_Kilroy View Post
    nope. no info to decide from. too much 'guesswork' remains. for instance....

what is part no of present motors(s)? how many? x,y,& & rotary table? tilt axes? what size is(are) present motor? shaft dia? length? mounting BC? pilot dia? any length issues? diam issues for replacement? what is part no of present driver? what is supply voltage? current? how to control? step/dir? analog input? 0-5v? +/-10v? any size issues in cabinet for replacement drives? need premade motor cables? how long? any flex?

someone should go thru motor sizing program such as I suggested, for each axis, to determine application info like what is top speed required? torque required? reflected inertia of the load? supplying replacement motors & drives without all this info would be crazy.

I can supply you 800watt motors that have inertia so much lower than your machines you would never be able to tune them, or so high you would never be able to accelerate them in time wanted (which is what?). I can provide you an 800 watt motor rated 800watts at 12,000rpm so its torque will be so low it will not move the slides. Or I can supply you an 800watt motor with so much torque it would move your friend's shop down the street, but you probably would not be happy with the 0.25IPM max traverse speed capability....

Once all this is nailed down, then I would be very happy to provide some options from our bag of tricks as I am sure others would!
    James Harvey
    Harvey Development Corp.

36" x 52" CNC Router