586,105 active members*
3,198 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > LB15II Turret disassembly question

LB15II Turret disassembly question

Hi All,
    I'm trying to troubleshoot a possible blockage in the flood coolant system (cutting fluid) on a LB15II.

I've checked the pump and it seems to be working fine (tank is full). I'm guessing if something was sucked through the pump it would most likely get lodged inside the turret where the flow is forced into the small diameter ports. It happened midway through a job, the coolant started dribbling out of the nozzles - same for every tool.

On the face of the turret, I've removed the top plate showing the tool numbers, and also the next plate that carries the 2 O-rings. I now have access to the plate with the coolant ports but I'm having trouble removing it. I've removed the 6 cap screws and the plate will rotate by hand but will not slide off.

If anyone is familiar with disassembling these parts please let me know. Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brad

look, if you have a couple of threaded holes on the cover You want to remove. check if You can position the cover so, that the solid will be seen through the hole. screw the bolts to these holes so, that they will reach solid and screwing them more in will cause the cover retract from solid.
    Make such a threaded holes in the case if the cover is missing them

Algirdas, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately there are no threaded holes in this plate.

I just thought I should clarify my question to avoid any confusion.

The circular plate i'm referring to has a central hole that fits snug on the turret center shaft, which is visible. The plate has 6 holes for the cap screws and also 12 indents around the outside surface (i think these indicate the location of the coolant channels on the reverse side of the plate.)

If you have removed this part on a similar machine, can you please confirm the plate does need to be forced off the shaft. (i.e. I don't want to force it off with a pulling tool, and then discover there was a hidden grub screw or circlip holding it on.)

Thanks again for your help.

Brad

If you broad knowledge about turret assembly, you will face no more problem. I think this will help you lot

- CNCmachinetools.org

The center shaft should come out with that plate. There is a large O-ring thats probably hanging you up. The entire assembly should pop out once the bolts are out. And yes, i've replaced those on that machine. It was common to replace them when adding high pressure coolant. IF YOU HAVE high pressure coolant, that assembly would have been changed to a Cooljet/whatever brand and they are different.

AND I HATE THAT SPAM FROM INDIA. What a waist of time that website is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LB400.pdf  

underthetire, thanks for the diagram.
    Following your advice, I removed the shaft & coolant ring together. There was a bit of swarf stuck in the end of the shaft.
    Turret is back together now and coolant pressure is better than expected.
    Great result!