586,103 active members*
3,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > 0.4 kW air cooled spindle with 110v Delta VFD
Page 2 of 3 123
    did you torque the nut for a 1/4" or 1/8" bit? I found er20 specs with different torque for different sizes. Also helps to make sure the bit and inside of the collet are clean and oil free.

Sent from tapatalk

Don,

Long bits need to be tighten better as they tend to slip more then shorter ones.

Being a machinist in my previous life I experienced that problem first hand.

Andy
    http://UgraCNC.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
    did you torque the nut for a 1/4" or 1/8" bit? I found er20 specs with different torque for different sizes. Also helps to make sure the bit and inside of the collet are clean and oil free.

Sent from tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UgraCNC View Post
    Don,

Long bits need to be tighten better as they tend to slip more then shorter ones.

Being a machinist in my previous life I experienced that problem first hand.

Andy
    I'm sure you're both right. I looked more closely at my ruined workpiece. I was taking very light cuts (for no good reason). The cutter had just gone through the 1 1/4" thick workpiece and entered the MDF spoil board when it is clear that it suddenly started cutting much more deeply and roughly. I assume that this is because the cutter grabbed the softer MDF and was pulled down. The only way this could have happened is if the collet was not tightened sufficiently.

I then released the broken portion of the bit from the spindle. It was very easy to loosen the nut indicating that the nut was not sufficiently tightened.

I hope I didn't damage the spindle. The router itself moves smoothly and homes reliably.

This is a mistake I intend to never repeat!

Got the VFD to work under Mach 3 control. "Control" to me means turning the spindle on and off with G-code. I'm happy to adjust spindle speed by turning a dial on the VFD.

Doing this was much easier than I thought it would be. It was not necessary for me to purchase and install a cable to connect to the "VFD" outputs on the G-540 controller (pins 7-9) although I did that before I figured out it isn't necessary (darn! took most of a day to do that).

All I needed to do was:
    1) connect a 110v relay to the outlet that I used to use to power my spindle. This outlet is turned on and off under Mach 3 control
    2) connect the normally open contacts of the relay to "M0" and "ground" on the VFD
    3) "program" the VFD to turn on and off with the "MO" input.

The VFD spindle now behaves just like my old Kress spindle. I can turn it on and off with the same Mach 3 commands. I have a safety switch just above the spindle where I can definitively turn off power to the relay that controls the VFD. I have another switch that can turn off power to the VFD. The VFD spindle turns off when the E-stop is activated. And I can adjust the spindle speed by turning the dial on the VFD.

Here's a photo of the unneccesary "VFD" output I installed in my control box:
    Attachment 185946

This photo shows the box containing the 110v relay installed in the front of my enclosure (seen just to the right of the VFD):
    Attachment 185948

Here are the two new inputs to the VFD that puts it under Mach 3 control:
    Attachment 185950

The 110v relay plugs into where I used to connect the Kress spindle:
    Attachment 185952

At this point, I'm not going to install the cable to the VFD connection on the back of the control box so I installed an extra plug that I purchased to keep the contacts clean:
    Attachment 185954

Here's a video I made with my cell phone:
    VFD Spindle under Mach 3 Control - YouTube

Bottom line: If I had known how easy it is to install a VFD spindle, I would have done it a LONG time ago!!!

Looks good, reminds me of people that use a 12 vdc inverter to power a 110v power supply that outputs 12 vdc (yes I have seen it first hand)

You should get the rpm control under mach, I didn't realize how nice it is to control rpm in the code until I switched to a spindle, I do a lot of delrin and having a higher speed for finish passes makes a noticeable difference.

Sent from tapatalk

You should get the rpm control under mach, I didn't realize how nice it is to control rpm in the code until I switched to a spindle, I do a lot of delrin and having a higher speed for finish passes makes a noticeable difference.
    Heck, it will be easy to do that. I've already made the cable and the connection to my cable box. But I don't see the point. I can now change the spindle speed by simply turning an easily accessible dial on the VFD mounted on the front of my enclosure. If I enable spindle speed control through Mach 3, I'll lose that feature. In fact, my keyboard is mounted inside my enclosure so I actually have easier access to the VFD than the keyboard. Adjusting spindle speed with software would be good in a production environment but I do so much "one-off" stuff that it would be more inconvenient to keep dealing with software settings tham to simply turn a dial.

Not trying to be argumentative. If I'm missing something, please tell me. BTW thanks for your support as I've gotten this spindle going!

Doesn't mach have an rpm control slider on the screen? Seems that would be easier than reaching up to the vfd

Sent from tapatalk

Doesn't mach have an rpm control slider on the screen? Seems that would be easier than reaching up to the vfd
    There is an rpm control slider on my Mach 3 screen but my keyboard and computer screen are behind a door in my enclosure. I mounted my VFD above the door (in easy reach) so, in my setup, it's easier to turn the dial on the VFD than to reach for my keyboard. I initially thought the I could control the spindle speed from either place but, unfortunately, to enable one control, I have to disable the other.

i never used kress motor... probably good quality... but..
    and theres the but.. a spindle as it brushless it has less noise.. not to mention the rpm is a lot better controlled..

balancing is important, however these spindles has different rotor than average motors.. they are smaller diameter ,,, and i believe they are balanced very well..
    i have watercooled spindle and it has no audible noise from a few feet distance.. while it is 12-15K... the aquariumpump makes more noise then spindle itself..

i was thinking on aircooled, i just scared that those migth makes some dust cloud in the shop..

on ugracnc website i learned that vfd recognise automatically if it were 1x220 or 2x110 volt..

that 400 watt spindle migth equal with the 1.2 kress..
    somehow i just dont trust these kilowatts with these spindles..

i worked on lathe, and a 5.5 kw 380/220 motor was weighing about 50 kg.. these spindles are too small..
    on that lathe i could take off 1/2 inch of a 3 inches dia steelshaft.. in one pass.. these spindles i cant imagine they could perform it..
    i have minimill, and a 2.5 inch dia head takes off 1/4 of aluminum in one pass.. motor is 2.2 kw..
    so these spindle kilowatts are too mysterious for me..

I cant imagine they could perform it..

Questionsfor DonFrambach

Why did you go 0.4kw instead of 0.8kw which seems to be a good match for the 110v vfd. What kind of materials are you cutting as what speeds and doc?

Thanks in advance.

Urb

Quote Originally Posted by jckstrthmghty View Post
    Questionsfor DonFrambach

Why did you go 0.4kw instead of 0.8kw which seems to be a good match for the 110v vfd. What kind of materials are you cutting as what speeds and doc?

Thanks in advance.

Urb
    I went with the .4kW spindle because it is an exact fit into the mount that I had previously made for my Kress spindle. (But I'm regretting that decision)

I am using my small router to make detailed carvings from hardwood. For my 1/4" bits (the largest I use) my doc is .1" or .05" at 30 to 40 ipm. The router spends most of its time moving a 1/8" or 1/16" round nose bit at 30 to 40 ipm with 8% steps to make the carvings.

So far, I've made only 3 carvings in hard maple and beech. The spindle seems to be up to the task. I'm still getting used to the small ER-11 collet. I ruined one project because I didn't tighten the collet properly. The .8kW spindle has a much larger ER-16 collet and I'm strongly considering getting one of those because I'm much more comfortable with that size collet system.

One thing that is very nice is that the 110v VFD and spindle draw very little power. I have connected my 110v VFD to my UPS which also protects my control box and computer. When I disconnect power to my UPS with my system running, the UPS says I have 17 minutes of run time. We don't have very many power interruptions where I live but I frequently cut for more than 10 hours at a time so it's comforting to know that a project won't be ruined by a brief power interruption.

Here is a photo of the three projects I've cut with the new spindle:
    Attachment 186928

Here is a closeup of the ruined part of the first project:
    Attachment 186930

Can you share the file for this?

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by thatotherguy View Post
    Can you share the file for this?

I assume you're interested in the wedding rings plaque. I purchased the model for the rings from VectorArt3D.com for $10. (link: 3D Model | Wedding Rings (Vector Art 3D, Inc. - Dimensional Clip Art for CNC Routing and Engraving)) The rest of the plaque was made using Vectric Aspire.

The license agreement forbids sharing of the purchased models. Sorry.

Will it fit on the 3040? Automatically?

Quote Originally Posted by thatotherguy View Post
    Will it fit on the 3040? Automatically?

Aspire and other software programs will allow you to reduce or enlarge your file to just about any size you want.

Thanks a lot fellow members for showing me all your awesome projects so far, I have thinking of doing this at my home and planned to buy a Delta VFD from hvacbrain.com and some guides here are invaluable to me.

Do the bearings ever need greasing?

--Rick

Quote Originally Posted by UgraCNC View Post
    Gentlemen,

I would not recommend disassembling spindles unless it is absolutely necessary.

I doubt that every spindle factory does that but at GMT factory spindles get balanced after assembling.
    Disassembling may cause disbalance, increase vibration and so shorten the lifetime of bearings and tools.

Please see the picture I took during my recent visit to GMT Spindle Factory in China:

Attachment 184826

They pay a very high attention to performing every operation properly and strictly control quality at every step.
    They balance rotors before assembling and then balance the whole spindle once again.

They do not recommend disassembling...:nono:

Regards,

Andy

Usually bearings greased and sealed for lifetime.
    http://UgraCNC.com

Quote Originally Posted by DonFrambach View Post
    I went with the .4kW spindle because it is an exact fit into the mount that I had previously made for my Kress spindle. (But I'm regretting that decision)
    Hi Don, I'm also thinking to get a .4KW spindle & VFD from Ugra but searching for alternatives right now. My limitation is that I only have 120VAC, 15 Amps maximum available to feed the VFD and so I cant go to any larger VFD / Spindle.and of course ER-11

Why you are saying that you regret that decision?
    What is the Amps your VFD draws right now?
    Did you see any improvement with the ferrite filters you installed on the AC line?

I'm glad with the sound level of your spindle, very nice of you for taking the time to post the results

Thanks for your time
    Nicolas

Page 2 of 3 123