586,112 active members*
3,189 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > Toolpath fail to post in the layers list

Toolpath fail to post in the layers list

I think there is still a minor bug with toolpaths posting to the layers list. I experienced one occasion where a roughing toolpath was calculated and appeared in the model viewport, but it was not listed in the layers. While flailing about trying to resolve the issue, I deleted the toolpath curve from the model viewport and re-made the toolpath. This second time, the toolpath was listed in the layers list. Thereafter, I noticed that the toolpath went missing from the model viewport. Attempting to delete its lising from the layers once more to try again, I noticed the toolpath then re-appeared in the model and its layer listing remained. It seems as though the faulty toolpath, with the same name as the second try toolpath, was "hiding" the second version. So, when I deleted what I thought was the second version, I actually successfully deleted the inititial faulty version and "unhid" the good second version.

Maybe this small bug can be squashed in the next beta release.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I believe this is a Rhino bug, not madCAM. I see this with Rhinoscripts that create layers but have nothing to do with madCAM. Sometimes they don't show up in the list, even though they were created. Next time this happens, please try the following:

1) Go to the layer pane and select Filters (the funnel icon).
    2) The check mark will most likely be at "All Layers". Change it to "On layers".
    3) Now change it back to "All Layers". This will refresh the list

Does your layer show up now?

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Like Dan says, it's an annoying Rhino feature.

Toggling the Filters button does indeed refresh the layers list.

Thanks!

I usually undo and redo the toolpath creation and then the layer appears. If the toolpath was created layers ago, then I repeat the undo until I reach the toolpath with the "invisible" layer. After that I go back to where I have started from with multiple redos. Works also very well.

Wow, seems like a lot of bother when you can just toggle the filter.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yup, as always when you try to discover things on your own. I have discovered this undo-redo thing accidentally, didn't know about the filter toggle. It's never too late to learn...

Hopefully the McNeel people will fix this issue and we won't need any workarounds.

Dan

Finally, it appears that this bug will be fixed in SR6. Both Joakim and myself have tested this in the SR6 release candidate and we cannot reproduce the problem. As I originally mentioned, it was not a madCAM issue, but a Rhino problem which Dale Fugier from McNeel was able to finally rectify.

Dan