586,080 active members*
3,472 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Looking for advice on a machine to engrave stainless steel, depth needed

Looking for advice on a machine to engrave stainless steel, depth needed

I'd like to be able to engrave very small, highly detailed high resolution images into stainless steel. I need to have some depth, so CerMark type solutions are not an option. I don't need extreme depth, but I do need some. If the machine could also cut thin stainless steel plates, that would be awesome but not a requirement. Any suggestions? I initially wanted a laser engraver but an having trouble finding one that can create actual depth. Thanks for any help here.

You don't mention what your space constraints are, nor your budget - but you may look at finding an older Robodrill or Brother machine. The early 90's ones can be had for next to nothing, and may still have some life in them.

I paid less than $2k for a 1990 P&W Tape Drill (robodrill predecessor) for the express purpose of engraving some bottle mold inserts that I get orders for repeatedly. It's not fast, but a cheap extra spindle is very handy to have (and I can cut alot of other stuff on it as well as long as I dont treat it like a 40 taper machine).

Galvo YAG will give depth as will a Fiber Galvo but they aren't cheap to buy.

"Very small" means a lot of things to a lot of people, for me it means Micron level, for a woodworker it may mean MM level, for a bricklayer it's going to be inch level. Bit more info required my friend.

cheers

Dave