586,094 active members*
4,083 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Z axis coupler and Dragon Cut steppers

I bought the Dragon Cut 620 oz stepper motors and when I ordered the z axis off of ebay I didn't notice that the Motor shafts are 3/8" but the z axis coupler is 1/4".

Is there a coupler that will go from 3/8" to 1/4"?

Or is it possible to switch the shaft on the stepper around since the shaft sticks out the opposite side of the motor mount is 1/4"

Thanks,
    Frank

I most definitely wouldn't be pulling apart the stepper. 3/8" to 1/4", 1/2" to 1/4", etc, are all standard sizes, just need to trawl ebay to find a good priced one, probably around the $10 mark I'd guess based on the ones I've bought.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

McMaster Carr has many types of couplers that will go from 3/8" to 1/4"
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank you sirs, I knew someone would have the answer. I have been busy and haven't had time to look until today.

Can you not just drill out the coupler to 3/8"? I have the same motors and probably the same eBay Z assembly and I just noticed the coupler problem. They look like there is plenty of sidewall left even if drilled out. I'll try it and see if it works.
    2000 Haas VF-2 : Tormach PCNC1100 :OneCnc XR5 Pro

Yes that would work just fine. I would at least bore it out with a drill press, or a mill if you have one. A hand drill and vise may not be as precise as a guy would want.
    Quote Originally Posted by partsman View Post
    Can you not just drill out the coupler to 3/8"? I have the same motors and probably the same eBay Z assembly and I just noticed the coupler problem. They look like there is plenty of sidewall left even if drilled out. I'll try it and see if it works.

I have been working out of town a lot lately and haven't had time to work on it. I'll look at drilling it out but they have stress cuts to make it the weak link so I'll have to be careful it doesn't catch in the bit and snap it off at the stress cuts.

I should be able to work on it this weekend then I have another trip planned the week after. If it weren't for time and money I'd have it completed by now.

I tried to drill mine out in a drill press but failed. The coupler is aluminum and the bit ended up cutting more on one side than the other for some reason. It might have worked if I gradually went up a size at a time. Not sure. I just ended up ordering a 3/8" coupler from Velox on ebay. It was only $10.

Did yours have the stress cuts in it? This is what I currently have. New 5mm x 5mm Shaft Coupling CNC Stepper Motor Flexible Coupler Clutch | eBay

Did yours have the stress cuts in it?
    No. Mine had the three piece style with the little plastic "T" piece in between the two aluminum couplers.

Frank contact velox cnc on ebay and see if they can get you the coupler you need.
    Travis

Thanks Travis. I'll get one ordered up this week.