586,103 active members*
3,776 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > 1-Shot Oiler Mods Without 2nd Mill

1-Shot Oiler Mods Without 2nd Mill

Lots of folks have made one-shot oilers on RF-45 type mills. Typically, they cut grooves in the face of the saddle, to distribute the oil more uniformly on the surface of the dovetail. This is quite doable -- *if* a person has a second mill. But I consider myself lucky to have a single mill.

So I'm interested in hearing some detailed accounts of how people have made the oil grooves without using a mill. I suspect that a Dremel or small router in a custom-made guide-block base with a grinding wheel is the way to go. But perhaps someone has tried doing this milling on a drill press, or with some other approach. Maybe someone has used a 4" angle grinder.

I'm particularly interested in knowing about use of small grinding wheels for cutting the grooves, and how feasible this is.

Anything to report or suggest?

Thanks!!
    Dave Kellogg

I just used my 4 1/2" grinder and made the grooves about 1/16" deep. They don't have to be exact so doing it by hand is fine.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

You can also take the parts to a machine shop or even a local university with a machine shop. From my experience, most of the time it'll cost you a beer or two, but if you get the right person they'll often do small stuff for free.

No need for a mill.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave.Kellogg View Post
    Lots of folks have made one-shot oilers on RF-45 type mills. Typically, they cut grooves in the face of the saddle, to distribute the oil more uniformly on the surface of the dovetail. This is quite doable -- *if* a person has a second mill. But I consider myself lucky to have a single mill.
    You don't need a mill for oil groves.
    So I'm interested in hearing some detailed accounts of how people have made the oil grooves without using a mill. I suspect that a Dremel
    A Dremel might work but I've used die grinders for a bit more horse power. Not being the steadiest person in the world I might clamp a piece of steel to act as a straight edge. One does need to take some pride in his workmanship even if the work is never seen.
    or small router in a custom-made guide-block base with a grinding wheel is the way to go.
    Think burrs. Grinding wheels go that size don't last.
    But perhaps someone has tried doing this milling on a drill press, or with some other approach. Maybe someone has used a 4" angle grinder.
    I haven't used a 4" grinder for this but it might be the smart way to to the job. I'd still look for a way to steady tool for straight and uniform grooves. You could go the HF route and get passable results. Some touch up work with a die grinder might help.
    I'm particularly interested in knowing about use of small grinding wheels for cutting the grooves, and how feasible this is.
    As noted above small grinding wheels suck. If you want or need to use a grinding wheel go for the 4" grinder. Otherwise carbide burrs in die grinders can be used.
    Anything to report or suggest?
    Yeah, whatever method gets used clean up afterward Make sure no burrs are left. Also make sure the grooves are fairly uniform in depth. Finally realize that over time the grooves accumulate crude. Stay within the contact area.
    Thanks!!
    Dave Kellogg