586,555 active members*
3,460 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Which Grizzly lathe to get

I am getting a bit tired of my 7x14 mini lathe. I cant thread for crap with it because the thread gears lock up the leadscrew and pops out of gear. Im looking to get a bigger lathe with easier threading but not sure what to get. Ease of threading is most important and a little more rigidity. I can cut 303 and aluminums without much trouble on my little 7x14 so im thinking anything bigger will just be better in that sense. Would love a quick change gear box for threading though.

I have about 2800 to spend. I really want the 4002 model however the only thing holding me back from buying it right now is i have a basement shop and the 4002 weighs 1004lbs which may not be possible. i think the space i can handle but weight getting it down 4 cellar stairs may not be possible.

The other choices on my list are in order so far

1 4002/4003
    2 G9972z
    3 G0752
    4 G0602

Which would you guys recomend ? I have been looking around and i dont see much info about the G9972z or G0752. It seems everyone has a G0602 however. is the G0602 a better lathe ? I would think the G0752 would be a upgraded version over the G0602 with the variable speed motor.no?

Do you guys think its possible to move the 4002/4003 if taking the carraige,chuck,tailstock etc apart and moving it with a couple people? How much weight do you think i can take off it by dissasembling first?

Also can someone tell me how the threading works on these lathes. Is it easier to change gears then a 7x14 mini lathe? Do you always need to change gears or just cirtain threads?

With my 7x14 i have to remove the standard plastic gears,put on the threading gears for the proper pitch .Loosen the b gear plate .Remove the keys on the gear shaft ,move the spacer to the inside on the leadscrew gear.Loosen the gear swing arm ,adjust both so the gears line up and retighten.then when they are all on i find out the leadscrew is too tight to turn and if i try to turn it on the leadscrew direction lever just pops out of gear. thats about the point i give up and put the regular gears on then try to thread mill my part on the mill lol. what a pain !!!!!!
    Grizzly G0602-AXA QCTP<<< Soon to be CNC and 3PHA-VFD !
    7x14Lathe, X2cncmillG540 Solidworks,HSMworks,VcarvePro

Dad has the 4003. Nice lathe actually.

Yea it looks nice . If i knew i could get it in my place id have jumped on purchasing it already.

Is weight a factor?

Hi Chris. For WAY less than $2800 you could buy a G0602 OR G0752 and CNC it. Then your threading would be easy peasy. You already have a CNC mill, and that would make conversion even easier.

The G0602 will disasemble down to about 275 pounds:
    Page 87

CR.
    http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

hat is a option as well . Im thinking maybe i can split the Gecko540 i have for the mill so it runs the lathe and mill (not at the same time of course) . Can this be done. Would making a splitter box for the serial stepper cables create too much noise? That would save me a lot of money using the same controller and psu. Then all i would need is some ballscrews,ballnuts,2 steppers and make some mounts for it on my cnc mill. I could also get a 3phase motor and VFD and still have money left over. Hoss recommended that as well. how much more rigid is the g0602 over my crappy 7x14?

I see more people with a g0602 but why is that a better choice for everyone over the G0752?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnis View Post
    That is a option as well . Im thinking maybe i can split the Gecko540 i have for the mill so it runs the lathe and mill (not at the same time of course) . Can this be done.
    Yes, but you WILL eventually want to run them both at same time. Make them as separate as possible, keeping an eye toward separating them in future. Maybe just run some long motor cables from the lathe. They will hook to Z and X positions on G540.

Never change from one to another with power on. You will also be running two versions of Mach3 on the computer: Machmill and machturn.

You don't HAVE to go to ballscrews right away. The G540 and 381 motors run the stock screws plenty fast enough for threading.

There is info about G540 and RPM sensor for threading here:
    http://cnczone.com/forums/vertical_m...onversion.html

how much more rigid is the g0602 over my crappy 7x14?
    WAY more rigid. The 7x14 is like a TOY next to the 430 LB G0602. Here's my 7x14 on top of my G0602:

I see more people with a g0602 but why is that a better choice for everyone over the G0752?
    The G0752 is new. Nobody knows what kind of performance it has yet, or if it is worth the additionaL $345.

CR.

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    Yes, but you WILL eventually want to run them both at same time. Make them as separate as possible, keeping an eye toward separating them in future. Maybe just run some long motor cables from the lathe. They will hook to Z and X positions on G540.

Never change from one to another with power on. You will also be running two versions of Mach3 on the computer: Machmill and machturn.

You don't HAVE to go to ballscrews right away. The G540 and 381 motors run the stock screws plenty fast enough for threading.

There is info about G540 and RPM sensor for threading here:
    Build Thread G0602 10x22 LATHE 3 STEP CNC CONVERSION

WAY more rigid. The 7x14 is like a TOY next to the 430 LB G0602. Here's my 7x14 on top of my G0602:

The G0752 is new. Nobody knows what kind of performance it has yet, or if it is worth the additionaL $345.

CR.
    Wow the G0602 is much bigger.thanks for the pic. Im am still debating on the G0602 or G0752. From Grizzlys spec sheet it says it comes with a 3phase motor but its 110v .How is that.Does anyone know anything about this. Im a little weary about it. I would be upgrading the motor in the G0602 to 3phase and VFD so it may come out to the same price.

As for coverting the G0602 to 3phase and add VFD any recommendations. I believe i read something about a Leeson 3phase motor that is a direct fit on the G0602? Also a Teco VFD that is 110v in and 220v out. That would make it a little easier in not needing to run a 220 line. Anyone know the model numbers on these and what im looking at as far as price? Im new to 3phase and VFD. Would that help in cnc threading ? I know that with CNC threading mach must know the spindle speed or i think i read that. Any help with getting setup as best as possible is greatly appreciated.

Also any plans floating around for making cnc mounts for the G0602? I know BDtools has a kit but its pretty expensive. if i had plans im sure i could mill it on my cnc mill and maybe just buy the ballscrews already cut for it.

Any idea how i can set it up so i can use both lathe and mill on the same controller without needing to alwys swap cables. Since i only have one computer and will be using one licenced copy of mach3 i really can only run them seperatley anyway. not a big deal though as i like to watch the program cut so nothing goes wrong and cant watch both at the same time.

I remember those A/B switch boxes on old computers .Do you think those would work to split the connections ? Im just wondering if they would create too much noise. I could have like 2 of them if it works . 1 for the x on the mill and x on the lathe and another for z on the mill and Z on the lathe. Then run a serial cable from the splitter boxes to the Gecko so i never need to remove the cables on the Gecko ,just switch from A to B on the boxes. Or is their anything i can buy that specifically is made for doing this? Would be sweet if it works as i really cant afford another Gecko,PSU and computer. Not sure if i could switch my Solidworks and HSMworks to another computer either.

Hi Chris. For WAY less than $2800 you could buy a G0602 OR G0752 and CNC it. Then your threading would be easy peasy. You already have a CNC mill, and that would make conversion even easier.

The G0602 will disasemble down to about 275 pounds:
    Page 87

CR.
    *I have a few Q's ..This post* caught my attention BC i am still considering what lathe i am going to purchase then convert to CNC . Next few months id like to* move forward.** One of the factors that has me staling is that after converting to CNC* id loose the ability to use manual and especially be able to do still do threading on it .

RecentlyI * toyed with the idea to purchase 2 lathes ( converting one to CNC)** However* I* want to buy one lathe to put in my garage now. Then if i move/ retire* take it with me. So the Grizzly* 10x22 or perhaps the LatheMaster 9 x 30 would be a likable candidate.* Could you please share the details in converting* to CNC** yet still maintain the threading option
    *thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KennyV View Post

RecentlyI * toyed with the idea to purchase 2 lathes ( converting one to CNC)** However* I* want to buy one lathe to put in my garage now. Then if i move/ retire* take it with me. So the Grizzly* 10x22 or perhaps the LatheMaster 9 x 30 would be a likable candidate.* Could you please share the details in converting* to CNC** yet still maintain the threading option
    *thanks
    why in the world would you want to keep that option, one of the big benefits of a cnced lathe is much easier, quicker and more efficient threading.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyV View Post
    *I have a few Q's ..This post* caught my attention BC i am still considering what lathe i am going to purchase then convert to CNC . Next few months id like to* move forward.** One of the factors that has me staling is that after converting to CNC* id loose the ability to use manual and especially be able to do still do threading on it .

*thanks
    Hi Kenny. You lose NOTHING. You can still manually use a cncd lathe. You use the keyboard or a pendant. Think of it as power feed on X and Y. Just takes a minute to turn on the computer because for CNC you remove all the stuff that makes computer start up take long.

As for threading on CNC it's very simple. You can even use a wizard to just plug in numbers like pitch and length and it will calculate the number of passes. NO GEARS to change.

BTW, the G0602 has a 1 1/32 inch spindle bore--WAY better than the 9x30 3/4 inch.

This thread covers a simple CNC conversion of G0602, including threading spindle sensor:
    http://cnczone.com/forums/vertical_m...version.html\\

CR.

Like CR said even CNCed you can manually cut on it still . I do it all the time with my mill. There are things called pendants and MPG's which allow you to jog the machine at any speed desired and cut away. I personally am using a xbox360 controller for this on my mill. Its actually much easier to cut this way since you no longer have to turn knobs or look at the dial measurements. Mach3 has a built in DRO and you can even tell it how much to move manually in mach3's MDI

Now back to my questions HEHEHE. BTW CR, I chacked out your Leadscrew CNC build and unboxing of the g0602 at good work bro. Did you ever do the next version writeup will ballscrews yet? Where did you get the spindle sensors?

Hi Kenny. You lose NOTHING. You can still manually use a cncd lathe. You use the keyboard or a pendant. Think of it as power feed on X and Y. Just takes a minute to turn on the computer because for CNC you remove all the stuff that makes computer start up take long.

As for threading on CNC it's very simple. You can even use a wizard to just plug in numbers like pitch and length and it will calculate the number of passes. NO GEARS to change.

BTW, the G0602 has a 1 1/32 inch spindle bore--WAY better than the 9x30 3/4 inch.

This thread covers a simple CNC conversion of G0602, including threading spindle sensor:
    http://cnczone.com/forums/vertical_m...version.html\\

CR.
    thanks guys i have operated some big equppt w/ mpg controls its ok. Btw do have a Mini mill converted to CNC w/ mach3 software i use it there once in a while. Guess since i used to be a lathe hand im so used to touchy feelly and like the feel of dialing in manual

Do u know if Mach3 lathe software supports threading on lathe?

Hey thanks for the encouragement can you post that link again BC that one dont go tdirrect to CNC conversion of G0602, including threading spindle sensor

thanks again

Yup mach3 has cnc threading on the lathe. I think with only the licenced version however .You will want to buy it anyway since 500 lines of code is nothing sometimes
    Cr's build thread
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...onversion.html

Just ordered my G0602 lathe . Checked with Grizzly and its in stock and will ship right away. Said i should have it in less then a week. Now i really need to start getting the models numbers and other stuff i need to buy for it.

Looking for a drop in 3phase motor,VFD,spindle sensor,QCTP,drill chuck and some new tooling as my 3/8" tools probably wont cut it anymore. Any ideas for best prices and part nmbers for all this stuff.

On the Qctp which one is recomended for this lathe. I had the tormach OXA for my 7x lathe but its too small for the new lathe but not sure which to buy now. I know the Aloris is the best but a little too pricy for me. Do i need the AXA size or BXA size? Where should i get it . I know theres a few different ones. I was looking at the one LMS sells for 169.99.Seems to be the same as my OXA but bigger.

As for the 3phase motor which is the one that directly fits. I think i remember its a LEESON but dont know the model number or HP rating. The VFD i remember was a TECO but again need the model for the 110vin-220out version.

Just got my G0602 delivered today. Been only about 4 days since i ordered it. OMG is it a beast. What a job getting that thing into my basement even with 3 people and i dissassembled almost everything but the head/motor. Had to slide it down my cellar stairs with 2 people holding a rope and me on the head side guiding it down. Just got it done and im exhausted. Now comes the much harder part of lifting it on to a table. Not sure how im gonna do that yet as i dont think we can lift it that high. Biggest issue why its hard to lift is theres nothing to really grab onto on the head side.I dont wanna grab the cover or the thin motor framing. Any ideas. Only thing on the lathe right now is the head,bed and motor. I removed the carrage,tailstock,chuck,rests,backsplashes.

Should i remove the motor? How hard is it to get the motor realigned if i take it off?I gotta also come up with something for a stand/table for it as well as the table i was gonna use is just a bit too short. Pics really dont do justice of this lathe .It is big. And i was contemplating the G4002 instead .Yea right !!!lol

Heres some unboxing and tear down pics . Yay i got Grizzly LAIDthe !

Huge 4 jaw chuck

DEEDADADEEDEEDEE_DEEEEEEEEEEEEE

What a big tape measure. lol Didnt have enough tape to span the Grizzly Bear j/k

This thing really takes up the entire inside of the crate.No tons of layers of styrofoam and box after box to find a tiny 7x lathe

I can almost fit a cinderblock comfortably on the tailstock!

Lots of fresh China goop to clean

What the heck happened to the nice red metal tool box i seen come with this lathe in other pics? All i got is a black plastic dollar store tool box

Starting the crate teardown with a little prybar

I know i put my backsplash on the wrong side

The motor just may be bigger then my entire 7x lathe

She got a big head

All Clear. Im sleeping on my new bed tonite ! Next is the slide down 4 cellar stairs into my basement. 2guys1rope and a human lathe block at the bottom. It went in head first.I somehow managed to get it in. What a job though. A even bigger job to come lifting it to its resting place.Thats for tomorrow. now that i got it in time to clean off all the Goo on the bed!

All in all i cant see a thing wrong with it. Not even a scratch nor ding on any of the splashes. everything moves and turns smoothly. Chuck came off without any force. Looks good.

Congratulations! You will have to add this to your signature now.

1/2 inch screw eye in ceiling joist. Cheap HF 1 ton chain hoist. Thick mover's refrigerator strap. Apron and tailstock for balance. My stand is on wheels, so just raised it up and rolled the stand under. With help, you could angle it over and let it down on a fixed bench.

Yes it's a beast. I had to take the crate UP steps--in six inches of snow--by myself.

Page 89

CR.

Yeah I moved mine in by myself years ago, an engine hoist or a chain hoist will do the job.

Attachment 185246

I put mine on the bench but grizzly sells a couple stands that would work.
    G0602
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Damn thats one sweet stand you have. I think i may bite the bullet and buy that HF lathe stand with cabinets for 249 + 20% off comes to 199. perfect size it looks like.

Have you taken the motor out of this lathe yet? i was gonna just take the motor out and lift it with a few guys but im afraid of not getting the motor back aligned. Should i worry about that or is it easy? Any steps on removing and reinstalling it?

If lifting it doesnt work i will probably do what you did with a comealong or chain hoist on the basement beams. Im gonna have a issue in a few months though because i will be moving back home after my house was destroyed from hurricane sandy. When i move back i will have to get the lathe up 3 stairs and in the house(my workshop at home is a room on the first floor but it has finished walls and ceilings so no place to put a chain hoist. I think lifting may be the only option unless i can rent a engine hoist and it fits in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    Yeah I moved mine in by myself years ago, an engine hoist or a chain hoist will do the job.

Attachment 185246

I put mine on the bench but grizzly sells a couple stands that would work.
    G0602
    Hoss
    Hoss did you cnc your G0602 yet? Have any plans for modding it like you all your other beasts? looks like your site is set up for a big journey or im hoping at least Your info and mods are like gold to a lot of people. Any plans to sell a cnc kit for this lathe ? (Crosses fingers) I have dreams about a workshop like yours lol

BTW took your advise again and bought those lathe tool holders and inserts. Got the Threading,parting,ccmt and dcmt from latheinserts.com. The owners a awesome dude to and helped me out a lot . he is also about to purchase a G0602 and do some tutorials on using it with the tool holders he sells. I just ordered some material to take a stab at that threading holder you sent me the drawing of. Im having a little issue opening up the DXF though. Im trying to open it in solidworks but it looks a little weird .Not use to DXF's maybe. Im gonna try to open it in a different program.

Page 1 of 3 123