586,103 active members*
2,906 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

turret servo/encoder question

Sorry in advance for the length of this thread, but I am going crazy over this problem I am having. I have lined up a many turrets in my time, and have never had this much trouble with one. I posted a thread on here the other day about an issue that I was having with a hard seat on turret clamp. This is a Tongtai Seiki TA-25L CNC lathe with a V.D.I. tooling mount and Fanuc OITC control. With the machine manual and this trusty site, I began my breakdown of the problem. I started off just loosening the face plate bolts and trying to indicate everything in. Everything will indicate in within .0015 thou but still the hard seat. Went into the PMM and reset zero for the turret servo. I know this was successful because I can change zero point from tool station #1 to station #10, and back. I thought by doing this, with a good clamp, the servo would drive from station to station at the correct increments. 12 station turret, 30 degree movements. The hard seat is still there. As you can imagine, frustration started setting in at this point. I pulled the battery back-up from the servo, pulled the power cable, and let the battery alarm come. I then powered the machine down, hooked up the power cable, plugged the battery back in, and powered back on. PMM had all of the alarms and 11 bit 0 was 10000000. I then went in and unclamped the turret, via Fanuc's re-zero procedure, manually rotated the turret back to tool #1 station, re-clamped, and then reset 11 to 10000001. Powered back down. Powered back up, everything was zeroed and good to go. Still the hard seat and thump. Next, I pulled the whole turret assembly down and started from scratch. Hardened pull pin dowels on curvic coupler, turret cast side, were not bent. Ran a reamer back through the hole and put in new dowels. I worked my way back out of the assembly, checking everything as I went, and cannot find a single thing that is out of whack. As I sat there today, it dawned on me. I'm sure that Fanuc uses this servo on all types of turrets. There are many different types of turrets, so there must be a parameter or setting that allows the builder to tell the control how many tool stations there are. My question to all of you guys is, why couldn't I change the setting for tool station rotation? This way I can unclamp the turret, do a tool change with the small amount that I am off on alignment, and reclamp the turret. I would then go back to PMM, change 11 to 10000000, and power down. On reboot, change setting back to 10000001, and power back down. Power back up, change parameter for this unknown encoder/servo rotation setting back to 30 degrees for 12 stations, and check for proper seat. I would continue this until I got a soft seat. First, is this possible, and second, does anyone know what this setting for rotation angle is and where do I find it? I am sure that I am missing something with this whole thing, but can't figure this thing out for the life of me. I would appreciate any and all help and suggestions on this. Thanks guys!:drowning:

Hi,

What is the brand of the turret, is it Tongtai Seiki, Sauter, Baruffaldi, etc.
    For Baruffaldi and Sauter there are online pdf's available.

Regards,
    Heavy_Metal
    The Netherlands.

Not sure. I will have to check. I do know that when I went to order tooling for it, they told me that it wasn't an actual V.D.I. turret, but called it something else. Can't remember what that was, but looks and works very similar to what I consider a V.D.I.

first maybe you have to try and check if is any backlash between the gear of the motor and the big gear of the turret inside.if it is some backlash ,maybe from the key on the motor shaft or the key from the turret shaft than the motor rotate normal but mechanical will be less so maybe you will have the hard seat.
    also sometimes i found something rare that you can not imagine:the encoder form the motor ,fanuc one, is loosing pulses and you have not the corect amount for indexing,maybe try to change the encoder with another one and see.
    as you did are corect steps but i go more for some backlash on the mechanical components inside.

Thanks for the info. I will go back and start looking at the mechanical side of things.

Enable turret axis position on screen position display. This will show you that the turret motor is actually moving 30 degree or not with next tool change command and you can rectify the same.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hey guys. Just an update on where I am on my turret issue. I had a machine tech come to the shop today. We walked through all of the procedures that are standard for a mis-aligned turret. Everything from loosening the face plate bolts and adjusting the turret, to resetting zero for servo drive. Everything indicates well, no face or cylindrical run-out, and have confirmed that the turret is indexing 30 degrees with the PMM. When you rotate turret in clockwise direction everything is nice and smooth and clamps well. When you rotate counterclockwise, there is a slight twist and a "pop" upon re-clamp , but only on stations 9-12. Whats weird is that if you loosen face bolts, everything works well in both directions. This caused me to think that the face bolts were bent so I got new ones, put them in, and tightened everything back up. Problem still there. Next we looked at the curvic coupling being the culprit. One would think that If the curvic coupling would have been bumped, because of the confirmed 30 degree movements from the servo, then each tool change would be off the same amount in both directions and a full 360 degrees. The tech and I basically went through everything that I had already done and found nothing that seemed to cause the issue. We did find that the hydraulic flow valve had work open and had the hydraulic pressure way up. We turned it down and this takes away the hard thump, but the twist upon clamp is still there. We basically came to the conclusion that we have a mechanical issue in the actuator assembly because this is the only mechanical assembly that moves in and out/ around during the clamp and unclamp process. With the face bolts loose, I am thinking this allows for a little forgiveness in the motion and allows for a straight and smooth clamp. The tech is going to try and get a full schematic and breakdown of this turret so that I don't have to disassemble and reassemble everytime I try something. Hopefully I can get a good idea of the problem area and start there. I think he said this looks like an EWS turret. V.D.I. tooling also. If anyone out there has any experience with this type of turret, or any ideas on my problem, please don't hesitate to throw them my way. Again, thanks for the input, you guys are great!

Post Baruffaldi Turret

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy_Metal View Post
    Hi,

What is the brand of the turret, is it Tongtai Seiki, Sauter, Baruffaldi, etc.
    For Baruffaldi and Sauter there are online pdf's available.

Regards,
    Heavy_Metal
    The Netherlands.
    Hi
    Can anyone help me please set a Baruffaldi Turret Zero position on my 10'' Mega bore Fanuc 18i TB i try index and get a turret zero search not found