586,094 active members*
4,099 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Phase definition for SMC 800 controller

Hi

I am trying to get TurboCNC to speak to my controller, a Conrad Emis SMC 800 card. I think I have managed to activate the card by setting Drive Enable 1 to pin 1 low (strobe) (or shoud I have set PLC handshake to pin 1?). My limit swithches are paralleld on pin 11 (active high) and my spindel on/of is pin 14. The problem is getting the axes to work...... In the manual on page 26 and 28 http://www2.produktinfo.conrad.com/d...otor_Karte.pdf there is some very cryptic things going on, i gather that this is defined under Phase Defenitions in the axis config in TurboCNC. Do anybody know what settings should put hear, how many phases and what pins at 0 or 1?

I am greatfull fore all thoughts and hints :-)

Best regards

Magnar

If you do not get the solution to your problem here.

Try asking your question in the Stepper and drive section you may have more luck there.

Hope this helps and good luck.

John

Thanks, I will try that

Magnar

Sorry, the short answer is that the board won't work unless you get their step and direction upgrade (or modify TurboCNC) - the control scheme they're using is a multiplexed one that uses the same pins for all axes, with a few pins to select which, and they use pin 1 to strobe the data into the card.

There are a few folks out there with this card, so it's possible for me to make a module to change the usual step and direction scheme out to drive it. However, without a card to test on, it's going to be a pain to develop, I'd need a really patient tester out there to "volunteer".

Probably the best bet is to upgrade the card - then you can use it with anyone's software.

The SMC 800 is not upgradeable, only the SMC 1500, sorry...

AM

Yeah, i emailed Conrad and they said the SMC800 is not compatible with the upgrade PCB, man this card realy stinks :boxing: