586,096 active members*
3,626 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Look to see if the hard drive can be up graded a RH 20

Look to see if the hard drive can be up graded a RH 20

We have a Milltronics RH 20 and have run out of space on the hard drive. Can this be replaced with a bigger drive?

While it is unlikely that your RH20 has a hard drive, if it does, you must have a LOT of files stored. It must take a loooonnnng time to boot up and create a files menu.

If you have a standard SimDisk card, you could add a hard drive.
    If you do have a hard drive, you can install a larger one.
    If you have a DiskOnChip, you can install a larger one.
    If you have a CF chip, you can install a larger one.

The bigger question is why do you need to store so many files on the machine?

I generally recommend to my clients that they not use the machine as the place to archive their parts programs.
    Use your office PC as your storage location, only have the programs you are currently working on stored on the machine.
    The control will load faster, menus display faster, and you won't loose them if you have a computer problem on the machine.

Keep in mind that the most expensive part of your CNC machine is the data contained in the part programs, and it is easy to protect that data.

Or get a network card installed. We have an RH30 and an MB20. Both networked. Lets us store tons of files on server where they are backed up.

The network option is my #1 choice, but it can be a problem on older machines. I am working on one right now that I can't get the network drivers AND the control to work at the same time. I am setting up a multiple boot menu so I can load either the network or the control software.

ZZZZ,
    Have you tried to load the network drivers in upper memory? Dos version has to be 5.0 or higher if I remember correctly. Yep I goggled UMB and got this hit http://www.uncreativelabs.net/textfiles/system/UMB.TXT. I used to do a lot of DOS networking back when my kids were hooked on Doom multi player type games at home. We had a 4 computer network at home on dos boxes Sometimes the net drivers would work in upper memory and sometimes not, if not I could usually load enough other items to keep them in conventional memory.

Ron

That's a good idea, it has worked on other machines to load things high, but not on this one. I tried several configurations with no success so I had to move on. I was way past the point I could expect a client to pay for.

Maybe I'll have better luck next time.

We ended up installing a USB floppy emulator drive, and removed tons of programs.

Thanks for everyone's help