I received the following PM and thought it may be useful to post here:
=====================

We are small company named M.... from Slovenia / Europe. We are dealing with industrial electronic systems, mostly with servo systems. I have a problem with old SERVO drive VICKERS ACRAMATIC (AS06300)...

Short problem description:

There was a problem with motor feedback ( encoder with hall sensors ). We change the motor feedback system with new one which is exactly the same as old one. Now here is a problem, because I can`t do the procedure for ENCODER aligment.

1. I`m using MOTION LINK software v5.0.0 downloaded from your WEB page for CD5 series. But I can`t communicate with drive properly. I was trying to use MOTION LINK KOLLMORGEN v4.5.2 also ... the same problem.
MOTION LINK reports »COM ERROR« all the time, but It is possible to communicate in #TERMINAL# mode.

2. I follow the procedure described in CD5(CD2) manual for function/command ENCINIT + 2 manual TURNS OF MOTORSHAFT in direction CW + procedure check out with command ENCINITST ( I get status 2 ) and finnaly command SAVE.
Drive succefully finish procedure, because when I check status with command ENCINITST, I can see status 2 and motor is running very good and smoothly after this procedure.

But when I turn power off from the system and turn it on again, then I get the same problem before procedure has been made. Motor have no correct power, it is very noisy and it could happens that runs away with overspeed fault.
I figured out that parameter MECNOFF is always the same. I try to modify it also by hand and it is not possible to change the number at all. Servo drive does not want to upgrade the MECNOFF automaticaly after ENCINIT procedure is done. I try several times but is the same.

SERVO DRIVE data:
---------------------------
ACRAMATIC SERVO: ENCODER
MODEL: AS06300
UCB board ID = 0
FW VER: 2.0.3V
6 Amp cont. / 12 Amp peak rating

Do you have any idea ?

Kind regards from Slovenia/Europe,
Matjaz
======================

I replied:

Your com error is echo is turned off on the drives for this machine; means motionlink times out. Go to terminal when you get communications after time out and type ECHO 1 then enter.

Now you can communicate.

Go to feedback page do 2 things. First change MENCTYPE from 0 to 6: this will elimiinate using the marker pulse, which you do not need. Second, do the ZERO routine. It will move the motor to the zero point. Now rotate your encoder until it reads 0 on the display. CHECK MPHASE VARIABLE IN TERMINAL: write down what it is. Should be 0. Type SAVE or press save to eeprom icon.

Cycle power and make sure it works again.

Without the confusion of the marker and halls being different on your new replacement encoder, it should work fine and you are done.

If you do not remove the marker from the equation, and your new encoder has different hall configuration with respect to marker location - most replacements do since the original encoder is no longer available. you will need to do ZERO routine again and NOT CHANGING ENCODER POSITION just note the new position on the circle: put that number into MPHASE and save and cycle power and see if it works. For instance, if zero command makes it go to 30 degrees on circle, just type MPHASE 30 in terminal and save and try it. If that doesnt work, you need to subtract 30 from the full 360 degrees so type MPHASE 330 and save and try again.

Much simpler to just turn off the marker with MENCTYPE=6.

Once you modify mphase to match your new encoder, you can no longer use the built in A2100 download of parameters (not needed anyway since you will save a cc yourself with motionlink), you do not have to put ECHO back by typing after all is fixed again before doing final save but type ECHO 0 -- this is zero for off. Just leave it on so you can talk with motionlink in future to this drive & if needed use your new backup file you save to disk.