586,320 active members*
3,919 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

laser scanning

Hi ever one,
    thank you in advance for any help or opinion that you may offer.
    I have been work on getting my CNC to make 3D scans, as I have very little information to go on I am finding its a case of small steps. My aim is to be able to make small scans of objects say 300 x 300 mm x 50mm high for copying, these are likely to be in stone, plaster or clay and do need to be to very high resolution in real term I would be happy with a tolerance of +/- 0.3 mm , as I will not be making a lot of scans so the amount of time is also not to important. I would be grateful for any advice for both general good practice and specific to the equipment and software I have. What is best surface finish to have on the object? will it make a difference if the surface is polished

the CNC control is NUM and the machine is a Bavelloni 323 5N which has got loaded the factory soft ware easy CNC and Easy Laser. the laser its self is a Limab PreciCura SR , I do have any manuals so far so will be looking for these.

it seam that the soft ware is working but need to be set up , I have no idea about things like which setting to use for the speeds ie 7 or 8 BIT, also there is a setting for speeds which is from 1200 to 256000 ?

that is a ""displacement sensor""
    very fast, and pending of standoff- range, it can be precise as low as 0.005 mm... but a standoff 70 and range 120 mm still makes 0.1 mm resolution or better..

if you didnt buy that sensor yet then you can check acuity laser.. works same way than you posted..

they have displacement sensors, and possible you can getaway about 1500 the speed you can imagine as a 3/4 wide trace.. possible sqfeet per min ..

simply hook on a router Z axis plug into usb2 and go..

this is for dot

Laser Displacement Sensors | Displacement Sensors | Low-cost Laser Displacement Sensors

this is for tracing a ""belt""

Laser Profile Sensors | 2D Laser Scanners | Profile Scanners

also, acuity has the lowest price..

Quote Originally Posted by victorofga View Post
    also, acuity has the lowest price..
    There is something wrong here because the local dealer just quoted me ~$20k US for one of these sensors. Seems a bit steep for a unit without software.

I pulled up from emails the quote..

I quoted them for the ar-200 unit
    from 17 to 67 mm range resolution is about 15 micron

true the inquiry was in 2011 and price was valid for 30 day

it was between 1200 and 1500 .. a powersuply added for the price.. without powersupply it was closer to 1000...

it comes with a 9 pin d sub connector you can plug directly to computer and using likely the wellknown 3d digitizer, the mechanical..

it Is not like nextengine that makes a ""shot"" you have to sweep the surface..

I quoted directly acuity...

I don't know what unit they give you price...

they have several unit.. this type sensors measuring from the returning beam angle the distance..

same way than nextengine or the handheld units..

the other type laser ""scanner"" measuring distance from interference.. that type emit a beam and its return on same way.. and the emitted and returning beam together has interference..
    that type actually used for microscopes too.. and that has no distortion, while this type has..

acuity producing only the type which one measuring from angle..

check this link

Laser Measurement Sensor | Triangulating Laser Displacement Sensors

I believe best would be directly contact acuity.. they saying it has several output.. simply pushing a buton you can choose ascii format and data can be converted..

im not a programmer, but I think you can use with mach3..

imagine if you use it for 2/1000 inches resolution... then how many point will be collected from 1x1 inch area..
    500x500 equal 250 000 point with 3 value ... that's already 3 mbyte.. so some program possible need skipping example 9 of ten point

also if you count on how fast a cd rom, so this laser unit can be same fast means 50-100 square inches per min..

this ar 200 has several type with different range..

i have to correct myself.. i just read they have two type confocal unit...
    those can cost 20K

I will give them a call. The AR200 is a bit limiting at 67mm. The unit which would be interesting is AccuProfile 620 or 820. These are capable of scanning a section and would greatly reduce scan times.

The Riftek is apparently ~US$5000.

It would be best to have the blue laser for scanning shiny surfaces.

Acuity does not seem to have any software - so some coding for Mach3 would be required.

Use lowcost webcam and a line laser (better if u have a projector) and then download David Laser scanner. Hope u will find good help from David Forum for setting up ur scan.
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

they have solution for even mirror.. I don't know the price.. but they have..

the program side same costly, if not more than the unit itself..

the ar 200 series has 4 or 5 model.. each has 50 mm range to measuring the 4 head cover I think from 6 to 206 mm range.. 4 times 50 mm..

they have also distance sensor working little different way with 2-3 mm precision up to 150 meter..

probably by time it will be cheaper.. as they can sell more and more..theres another similar company Keyence , and their quoting shows they are cost at least double triple..

you also can search on alibab marketplace.. similar than ebay, but not tied to paypal.. tough you can use yet..

these are white light scanners

3d Laser Scanner Solution For Scan Wood Furniture Mdf Carpentry Statue Relief Engraving Carving - Buy 3d Laser Scanner Solution For Scan Wood Furniture Mdf Carpentry Statue Relief Engraving Carving,3d Laserscanner For Cnc Woodwork Furniture Carving,3

Chaoda High Precision Good Price 3d Laser Scanner For Cnc Router - Buy Laser Galvanometer Scanner,3d Camera Scanner,Scanner 3d Laser Product on Alibaba.com

this is a japan confocal unit..

Lt-9001h Surface Scanning Laser Confocal Displacement Meter - Buy Surface Scanning Laser Confocal Displacement Meter,Industrial Electronic Accessories,Fjui Module Product on Alibaba.com