586,119 active members*
3,631 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Gecko g540 and SmoothStepper USB

Gecko g540 and SmoothStepper USB

Hi CNC brains!

I need some help / advice to set up a machine to run a USB SmoothStepper and a Gecko g540 breakout board. I want to buy the frame of the CNC 6040 from Yoocnc 3020 3040 6040 series - carving-cnc.com WITHOUT the control box, motors and cables etc.

Now I don't have much electrical knowledge, so after looking for a plug-and-play replacement for the YooCNC controller and not finding one, I have found the Gecko g540, as well as the USB Smoothstepper. I would like to work these two products together to make a very accurate control system.

Is it possible to build a system that uses both of these products? Is it going to be too difficult to set up for someone who knows how to solder circuits but is not a circuit designer?

Any help you guys have would be awesome, I was not impressed with the controller box on the YooCNC 3020!!

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

I'm new to CNCs. I have also given thought to going this exact route for my first CNC. (6040/Gecko G540/USB SmoothStepper) So I will be watching this thread.

Rick

Hi Mike. There should be no problem with what you want to do.

The G540 simply gets its instructions from the computer through its DB25 connector. Normally, this is connected to the computer parallel port and it cannot receive instructions from a USB port.

The Smooth stepper takes the unusable, but faster USB info and massages it to work through the G540 as if it was coming from a parallel port. It's a good marriage and should serve you well. Basically it's plug and play. You also gain a second DB25 connection that, with the addition of a 2nd break out board (and some hand wiring) can give you the same advantages as a 2nd parallel port with extra inputs & outputs.

Although not a router, this thread has info about installing G540 in it:
    http://cnczone.com/forums/vertical_m...onversion.html

CR.
    http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

Quote Originally Posted by Sisco View Post
    I'm new to CNCs. I have also given thought to going this exact route for my first CNC. (6040/Gecko G540/USB SmoothStepper) So I will be watching this thread.
    Rick
    Hi Rick. Welcome to the Zone!

Since you are new to CNC, you might find some of this info helpful. Click the link below then scroll down to see it:
    Page 2

CR.
    http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

Quote Originally Posted by mikenz View Post
    Hi CNC brains!

I need some help / advice to set up a machine to run a USB SmoothStepper and a Gecko g540 breakout board. I want to buy the frame of the CNC 6040 from Yoocnc 3020 3040 6040 series - carving-cnc.com WITHOUT the control box, motors and cables etc.

Now I don't have much electrical knowledge, so after looking for a plug-and-play replacement for the YooCNC controller and not finding one, I have found the Gecko g540, as well as the USB Smoothstepper. I would like to work these two products together to make a very accurate control system.

Is it possible to build a system that uses both of these products? Is it going to be too difficult to set up for someone who knows how to solder circuits but is not a circuit designer?

Any help you guys have would be awesome, I was not impressed with the controller box on the YooCNC 3020!!

Thanks in advance,
    Mike
    Hi Mike,

This is how I built my controller based on the G540 Controller Parts Kit I sell.
    G540 Stepper Controller Package (No motors included) [CC-01]

As you can('t) see the USB smoothstepper is mounted into the enclosure. I run an IDC26 to DB25 Female ribbon cable to back of the enclosure just under the G540's DB25, then have a small DB25 Male to DB25 Male jumper cable to connect the two.

With this if I want to run of a parallel port I can just remove the jumper and plug the DB25 printer cable from the PC into the G540.
    This setup also has the advantage of being neat and tidy, rather than just running a ribbon cable through an open cutout in the enclosure.

The photos may give you a few ideas and the kit wiring diagram link below may also help you out with building a controller.
    http://www.homanndesigns.com/pdfs/EN010_V8.pdf

Cheers,

Peter
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Hi Peter,

Thank you so much for your reply, this is basically exactly what I'm looking for, and even better you are based in Australia! I got quoted $5000+ NZD for a company to build a similar system for me... yeah right! I think with the excellent schematics / wiring diagrams you have drawn I should (!) be able to put together the system myself.

I would also be interested to know whether your company can put together these kits for a fee? We would be happy to pay for such a service if it's going to take away any headaches I might incur.

Many thanks!
    Mike NZ

Hi Mike,

I have put a few together although it's not standard service I offer yet. I'm currently designing a few pcbs to make the assembly easier.

Send me an email and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,,

Peter
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store