586,069 active members*
3,430 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

updating my dyna 2400

I have an older dnya 2400. The y axis motor went on it. I would like to update it so it could use mach3 . I want to go direct drive .
    What motor and driver combo should I use. I don't want to go with geckos for this machine because my end goal is to sell it to fund my Oh mill and g0704 cnc. I also don't want to go with Crap. I think it uses 32oz steppets now .
    O I also have two power supplys I can use or not use there 52a at 12v .post some links if possible. That's for the help .
    Mark

Really think of your objective. The replacement motors are available very inexpensively. Why would you modify a machine to sell? You probably wont recoup your time or investment. Was the rest of the machine operational prior to the Y stepper failing? How were you controlling it? Were you only using the membrane keypad? Do you have software or DNC capabilities? The power supplies you mention would provide no improvement. Direct drive has also not been recommended due to the pitch of the leadscrews. These are extremely well built machines as they are, the work envelope is a bit small but that is about the only issue.

I have thought of all this read and researched. Cnc using mach three or gcode go for allot more then ones not .
    I'm not sure if the Cnc was 100% operating with the y stepper fixed. But I'm pretty set on what I want so any help would be appreciated thanks.

Machines that have the ability to accept GCode go for more than ones that don't. Mach3 is just an affordable program for hobbyists.

Have you seen Tbidgreg's site? He has extensive information on how to communicate with these machines from a modern computer.

What do you think a good running DM2400 using Mach3 might go for? Don't get me wrong, my 2400 is a wonderful machine. It can cut whatever material I attempt and very accurately. Speed is not its strong point but that is OK.

I just think by the time you buy steppers (100 minimum for all 3), a controller (150-350) assorted wiring, switches, 48v power supplies and finally your time. It will be more than you will be able to sell the machine for. I believe an reasonable price would be in the 1500-2000 range, max. That is only if the machines retrofit was exceptional. Not very likely from a person just starting on conversions. Of course I could be wrong.
    A lazy man does it twice.

just seen three that were working with g code go for 3500 3700 and 4500 . I seen two that were not working go for 1200 range and one that worked with dyna original software and steppers 1800.
    If I do end up wanting to keep it I will want to do the conversion any ways . If I sell it from my research it looks like people want CNCs with Gcode. So either way Im going to do the conversion.
    I got the whole machine free two years ago so when I fix it and sell it I will be ahead of the game. I just purchased a new g0704 . My plan was to CNC it and buy an IH mill. Im pretty set on what I want to do . Who knows maybe Ill keep them all but I have no use at this time for 4 mills a cnc and a lathe my garage is getting full .

Been there, done that as I do have a converted 2400 & 3000. I have about the same collection. I think the prices you saw were optimistic at best. However for what you spent, it could make a few dollars. You will learn plenty. If I understand correctly the machine will run GCode if you have the right software.

I agree 3800 would be at best 1800 was broken. Point being I have 0$ in this machine so I could afford to put a few bucks in it.
    Here my thing I have to replace the motors ones out one grinds .
    Im not sure what else. The g0704 Z axis is to small for my needs . I do make parts . Not like people do here but I do have a steady income from doing so.
    I cant compete with other turning handles spending 20 hours on a 40$ part. So I need a CNC .
    My Dnya while it looks like a great machine is to small for some stuff. My g0704 looks like it would be a great 1st CNC to make production parts on . I want a large manual mill. IH is 20 mins from me . I just went to there shop im going to buy one.
    So I want to cost effectively fix the DYNA to get the best possible out come when I sell it.
    Off topic lets say I wanted to stick just new motors on it would I be able to ?
    BTW fastest1 thank you for the help.

The motors are readily available.

Are there larger motors I can use with the stock parts

I converted a 2400 to mach3 using the original motors and drives. I have posted on here about it before.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Machines that have the ability to accept GCode go for more than ones that don't. Mach3 is just an affordable program for hobbyists.

Have you seen Tbidgreg's site? He has extensive information on how to communicate with these machines from a modern computer.

What do you think a good running DM2400 using Mach3 might go for? Don't get me wrong, my 2400 is a wonderful machine. It can cut whatever material I attempt and very accurately. Speed is not its strong point but that is OK.

I just think by the time you buy steppers (100 minimum for all 3), a controller (150-350) assorted wiring, switches, 48v power supplies and finally your time. It will be more than you will be able to sell the machine for. I believe an reasonable price would be in the 1500-2000 range, max. That is only if the machines retrofit was exceptional. Not very likely from a person just starting on conversions. Of course I could be wrong.

Hey- what is the web address of "Tbidgreg's site" ?

Thanks!
    www.CNC-Joe.com
    CNC Is Not Just My Passion.. It's My Addiction !!!!