586,265 active members*
3,725 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport Lube System

I have a Series 1 that the lube system is not functioning. It has an electric pump and a manual. Both work when I disconnect the lines but nothing comes out at the machine. The problem seems to be at what looks to be one way check valves. It gets lube to that point but absolutely nothing comes out past the the valves. I tried cleaning a few with solvent but it did not help. Anyone have a similar problem or suggestions?? Thanks.

I have a series 2 special. I just replaced all the metering units with new ones from bijur. Nice people to deal with. 1 metering unit is around 12 bucks.

Some oils do not mix well with others (grades and makes) and will "snot." As mentioned above these are not check valves but metering units. They create a back pressure so a precise amount of oil gets to all points. Without these metering units the oil would go to the point of least resistance and your machine would suffer.
    You can try soaking them in carburator cleaner and clean the lines and tank as well. A MOBIL vactra number 2 is a good way oil to use and can be purchsed at grainger.
    If this soaking does not help, you will have to replace them.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

How much should pass thru the metering blocks when I blow thru it with compressed air? Absolutely nothing comes out now. I do not know what the previous owner put in the machine for way oil but it gummed up everything.

I traced this problem down when my x-axis had some inconsistency. They must have run the ball screw dry because it seems to have some light hard spots. I tried oiling and cleaning and it helped but still did not eliminate the problem. Should I disassemble the ball screw??? Thanks again

I've not got any experience with bridgeports, but just a though - Will the metering valves open when using compressed air?
    It may be that the lube system works at a higher pressure than your compressor.

As for the ballscrew, I'd be inclined to run plenty fresh oil through it while working it to flush any junk out. If that doesn't work, only then would I be thinking about dismantling it.

These metering units "weep" oil a drop at a time under pressure.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)