587,047 active members*
2,503 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need help with a jewelry design I have

Hello, I'm an amateur jewelry designer and I'd like to be able to sell my work on a larger scale.

I hand-made this piece in a jewelry class, posted it to Reddit, and got an overwhelming response. With the amount of purchase offers I got for the piece, I decided I wanted to use a CNC laser to produce the pieces quickly. Unfortunately I cannot find any information on how to actually go about the production of this piece, as precious metals seem difficult to cut, particularly in layers. Here's a picture of the necklace:

I wanted to know if producing this would be possible without spending a great deal. My questions are, what kind of cutter would I need to produce this, and are there any companies that have lasers I can use for a fair price ?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by cactusy View Post
    Hello, I'm an amateur jewelry designer and I'd like to be able to sell my work on a larger scale.

I hand-made this piece in a jewelry class, posted it to Reddit, and got an overwhelming response. With the amount of purchase offers I got for the piece, I decided I wanted to use a CNC laser to produce the pieces quickly. Unfortunately I cannot find any information on how to actually go about the production of this piece, as precious metals seem difficult to cut, particularly in layers. Here's a picture of the necklace:

I wanted to know if producing this would be possible without spending a great deal. My questions are, what kind of cutter would I need to produce this, and are there any companies that have lasers I can use for a fair price ?

Thanks in advance.
    Very nice piece, cutting precious or semi's with a laser would require some expensive kit though maybe a small form factor router would be better? or maybe even casting? both would be a LOT cheaper than a laser cutter that would do the job.

best wishes

Dave

If you're looking to BUY a laser cutter for this, you'll be looking at $30k minimum for an entry-level fiber laser. Depending on your production needs, you would probably be better off with a large fiber, which is more in the range of $50k+.

Your best bet is to find a job shop (make sure you get the scrap back!). Keep in mind you will probably end up with oxidation on the edges so secondary treatment may be necessary. If you're doing 1000+ then you should look for your own system.

Good luck!

Many thanks to both of you! I'll definitely be looking into casting and other methods, but as far as CNCs go, are there any job shops which have lasers compatible with precious metals? I can't seem to find any based off of google searches.

You could also find someone with a Concept M-lab. Lots of jewelry made with the 3d printer.
    Concept Laser: .jewellery

Quote Originally Posted by cactusy View Post

Thanks in advance.
    Do you have the measurement plans? I might be able to do this for you.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

If I needed to make a lot of these, I'd look into abrasive water-jet cutting. You can stack up sheets of metal and cut them all at once with one of those things. Edges are cleaner than parts cut with a laser, and there's no Heat Affected Zone. Here's a company that does small work with one: Micro Waterjet Cutting - from Micro Waterjet LLC (MWJ)

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

@thatotherguy- I have the original drawings but I'll have to measure the piece itself. Thank you!

I'll look into the other methods mentioned, as well.

Laser and water jet are both relatively cheap.
    Look for cutting services in your area.

I suspect about 5-10$ at most, per piece.
    For larger amounts, laser cutting might be under 1$ per piece.
    They need to live however / figure about 100$ startup fee, and low cost per piece.
    It will not be economical for you to buy a machine (but might make sense in speed and response and "fun").

Water jet is terrible for precious metals. Loose to much material in the tank that you can't get back.

That's definitely a concern of mine. I am having trouble finding a CNC job shop that deals with precious metals though.

That is a interesting niche

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

Hi I am David, I own Ye Old Mystic Jewelers LLC, I have the ability to work CNC programs with Jewelry,, you can call me at 910 229 5806, or the shop 478 750 1310,, I can cnc most anything, I have a number of machines for jewelry making,, check out my web site Home Ye Old Mystic Jewelers LLC if I can help you give me a call, I am located in Warner Robins Ga.