586,117 active members*
3,606 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haas TL1 Loosing Z Position

Hi to you all, we have a small problem with the TL1 Lathe. When we power it up on a morning, sometimes it has problems referencing the Z axis, the saddle will move slowly in a Z+ direction as it should but then instead of stopping, the saddle will then creep forward in a Z- direction and would not stop unless we hit reset. This happens occasionally but the real problem is, we are finding that all the tools seem to be loosing their Z axis offsets on a regular basis, like every time we power off and on.

We are finding that the Z value for the same tool changes every time we power off and on, this combined with the "Z- saddle creep" makes me think it could be a problem with the home position referencing.

I am sure it is something simple like a piece of swarf on the limit switch which is causing the problem but i don't know how to find the switch. Could someone tell me where it is?

Many thanks

Look behind the bed toward the tailstock end and you will find the proximity sensor. Your problem is almost certainly due to a build up of chips in the metal trough that runs along the back of the bed. I will try to find the picture I posted years ago about this problem.

Here we are: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/haas_l..._position.html

The pictures were taken from the back of the machine.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks Geof, got it sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by pbd1971 View Post
    Thanks Geof, got it sorted.
    So was the issue chips on the switch? It is always nice to hear what the solution to a problem is.

Also, it is helpful when someone searches for a similar problem down the road.

Glad you got it figured out though.

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    So was the issue chips on the switch? It is always nice to hear what the solution to a problem is.

Also, it is helpful when someone searches for a similar problem down the road.

Glad you got it figured out though.
    Yes, that was the problem, lots of swarf and acetal dust all over the switch. We gave it a good clean down and so far, no more problems.

Thanks

Make sure to do it on the x axis as well