586,117 active members*
3,510 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Visual Mill > Double sided MOP's is there a way ?

Double sided MOP's is there a way ?

Hi,
    I've recently done some of my first cuts on a long overdue Gantry/mill project running with Mach3 and the results have been very pleasing.

I've also been messing around with VM6 and trying to figure out the best or a better way to machine both sides of a part, Perhaps the Tutorial has this topic covered but I did not find to much.
    The way I did was to create 2 separate Machining Operations & Setup etc and save them accordingly named as XX_Top.vcp & XX_Bottom.vcp each with the same size "Stock".

Now lets say I have "MOp Set 1" for the XX_Top created already... Is there a way to re-orient the part to create the "MOp Set 2" for the bottom side with out causing setup errors with with "MOp Set 1"

Appreciate the guidance

Thomas

If you have VM Pro, you can assign machine coordinates in any orientation you like. If you've got VM basic, you have to do it in separate files.
    -Andy B.
    http://www.birkonium.com CNC for Luthiers and Industry http://banduramaker.blogspot.com

Hi,
    thanks for the reply.
    Yes I do have VM pro, so I need to reset the MCS is that correct ?
    I'll have a little play with this and see if I cant figure it out

Thomas

- - - Updated - - -

In VM 2012pro, each MOPset has a coordinate system and on top of that you can set a machining origin as well. For side two, when you create the MOPset, you get an option to change the coordinate system. Rotate the coordinate system by 180˚ around x or y as appropriate than set a new MCS wherever you want it as the first entry into the tree of the second side.
    -Andy B.
    http://www.birkonium.com CNC for Luthiers and Industry http://banduramaker.blogspot.com

I created another MOp Set 2 and dragged it below Mop Set 1 > Click on the Create Tab > Set MCS (Align MCS With Tab > Align> Current MCS selected... Rotate About / Spin Angle 180 on X ...
    I see the machining CSYS changing direction.

Under the "Set MCS Origin" tab > set to stock box to the opposite of the initial setup "Highest Z" and "North West", so now I have selected "lowest Z" and "South West" and I see the Machining CSYS jumping to the respective selection.

I think I've got it figured out so I'll have to wait till tomorrow for the results as my sweet Wife is starting to dislike the sound of this critter Buuzzzzzing away at night ... am I the only one with this problem ?

Thomas

Ooops that last post #5 should read... "Highest Z" and "North West", so now I have selected "Highest Z" and "South West" and I see the Machining CSYS jumping to the respective selection.

The simulation looks ok

Appreciate the help with this
    Thomas