586,384 active members*
3,716 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Easy EMC/EMC2

ok, so for all of us out there who thought EMC*/Linux was to hard to set up, well guess what I just stumbled across.....

http://timeguy.com/cradek/emc/ubuntu

I am going to try this later today, I'll let you know how it goes.

sweet, I will try this also. thanks for hte link.

There have been what's called BDI disks now for years. BDI stands for brain dead install, and includes everything you need to set up the computer. The more recent BDI's have been liveCD with a Debian install.

unterhause, yes, fully aware of the bdi but they are usually a bit lacking with just the basics or out of date software. I have tried a couple of them, never liked the default software they packaged.

whirlybomber, how did your install go? the software appears to require opengl accelaration. when I installed the new kernel, I could not get the legacy nvidia driver to work properly, when starting x, it could not find the nvidia module. if I used "nv" driver, x would work but the software complained about opengl and exited. I will try a more modern nvidia card and see if the newer nvidia drivers will work better.

well it turned into next week.

The instal went exactly as it was supposed to, and I could open EMC2 no problems after the 1st reboot.

And now as the repositories are added to my sources.list, I will be able to do updates with apt/synaptic for even easier updating.

does anyone have a good primer on how to set up and run EMC2?

what a minimum hardware to emc2 and ubuntu5,10 ?
    i have meny old pc 200mhz-350mhz.
    and memory what need?
    i try instal bdi emc 4,20 to 200mhz pc in but not worki,not restart after instal and instal time info no more simm memory.(old sim not have more)

Debian install?

Quote Originally Posted by unterhaus
    There have been what's called BDI disks now for years. BDI stands for brain dead install, and includes everything you need to set up the computer. The more recent BDI's have been liveCD with a Debian install.

where can I find out more about the Debian install?

Can I use the Debian that in the box next to my desk?

the best bet is to use the bdi install, otherwise you have to learn how to build a successful RTAI Real-Time kernel. But you can install it yourself. There is a wiki at www.linuxcnc.org

I downloaded the BDI... I looked and it has the files I need to compile the other programsI use

Chris did great work on the ubuntu/emc2 setup. It is truly painless. Chris's setup installs everything that is needed including the realtime kernal. Plus as been stated - you get updates as they are developing. If you use the bdi and want to try emc2 it takes a little more work.

I would say emc2 + axis interface is awsome.
    http://www.electronicsam.com/images/...axisubuntu.png

The emc2 package has been getting better and better. Very happy with it. Powerfull enought to retrofit our big old nc mill. (the next project)

sam

WOW!!

I was already considering EMC because I know enough about linux to get it going, but now that I will only have to spend 15 minutes setting it up instead of a couple days, I will definately be using it.

upgrade bdi? and basic user information? what I do?

how i upcrade my bdi 4,20 to -> new version?
    what i need add reposity files?
    adres?
    if can upgrade or must install all new etc,emc2 ?
    and second.
    how i run , use emc??
    there 4,20 version i not found program only sherlincnc, where all other program have?
    cad?
    cam?
    pcb board maker?
    text maker?(mill wood in text)
    controll centre(mach3 style what i see g-kode run,pic what cnc work,numerical display,etc)
    need all softw,what need make printed circuits in emc.
    but not understand what i need do??? mean where is all software and run thats,have thats(emc)include pcb maker soft?
    i install 4,20 version but not more know? (chair)

have anywere web, site what user manual is?
    url???

I have treid all these EMC versions. My big question is what CAM programs do you use? I only know of Windows CAM programs. Is there any Linux Cam programs that stop you from needing to boot back into windows each time you need to make a CAM change?

masaV, I forgot where I got this but here is the guide for EMC.

EMC2 is still not in 'release' yet, and AFAIK there is no documentation around in a user-guide form.

Lurking in the developers mailing list can be helpful.

Also, check out the BDI homepage (forgot where that is....)

well there would be a .pdf here if I could make it upload.......

I'm fairly certain it was hosted (or linked to) from the sherline site.

ok,thx