586,116 active members*
3,413 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Whens a circle not a circle

hi out there.
    Running into an odd problem outside my scope of understanding.
    I have been trying to cut a series of holes, basically my version of the penny damper.
    I redrew the damper to work with Canadian pennies so a slight change.
    But I find the cut isn't round. Its nearly round sort of like my waistline.
    It seems to be oblongish with the y axis being the short direction, yet i confirmed the calibration appears to be pretty accurate on the steps per inch.
    I have run it fast and slow, no change.

So I am lost. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You may be losing steps, or you may have backlash on one of the axes.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

hi there.
    Thanks for your response.
    I have installed new Anti Backlash lead nuts.
    I also drew up a 3 inch by 3 inch square and cut it repeatedly with my machine each time checking the dimensions on the x and y.
    I had to make a slight Y adjustment and found the y was not square and had to adjust that.
    I am now cutting what appears to be a good square with right angle corners. I figured, lets start with something simple and make sure everything is adjusted right.
    I will re-cut my damper in the next day or so and check the results.
    I have a couple questions before I do.
    First my board provides a max output of 3 amps.
    It has 4 settings, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%, I currently have it set at 75% or 2.25 amps.
    The motors are rated at 2.8 amps, so I am wondering if I should run at 100%. However when I run at 100% I notice the motors are very warm. I don't want to leave my hand on them. So question is, should it be 100%.

Next question drilling a hole or using inside profile. Which is better and more accurate for say a hole less then 1 inch.

Last question, are there any settings that affect how a circle is cut. I see Constant velocity vs Exact Stop and Arc Center Mode can be either incremental vs Absolute.

Sign puzzled in pickering

Any flex at all that your machine may have will show up when cutting circles, especially smaller ones. Try cutting them much slower, and see if the results improve.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Will give it a try.
    Have set the feeds and speeds down in the G code.
    In the mean time any thoughts on the amperage question.

Well I can see a couple problems.
    My router is actually rocking slightly in the mount. I am shocked. I thought it was solid. So will address that, but first I need to fix the lead nut on the z axis. I just broke the mount. It's designed that way so I am not upset.

Well
    I remounted the router with a slight change to the lower mount. I didn't see that there was a gap on one side that caused the router to shift to one side. I corrected it last night and ran one fast test before the boss called dinner. The one circle was bordering on perfect. I need to try again tomorrow and test it a few more times and see how it goes.

Ok
    So Now I have a question to the forum participants.
    I cut my nickel damper last night. Nearly spot on, nearly.
    Some irregularity stil exists. I observed that there is a slight rocking of the gantry as the gantry moves. Not a lot, but its there.
    I don't know the cause as yet. Not sure if its missed steps causing a bouncing sort of affect or what.
    So here is my question. Is it possible to add a counterbalance to the bottom of the gantry to reduce the rocking affect.
    I know I need to look at the root of the problem, but I have noticed that these slide bearings have some play in them that allows for this rocking affect.
    Ergo the question. Would a counterbalance make sense since gantry's are top heavy.

Cheers