586,104 active members*
3,292 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Short part Citizen Swiss

I am getting a short part on my citizen A20 with the CAV barloader. It will run fine for awhile and then I will get a barend that is about 5" shorter than the others which gives me a short part. I tried increasing my part length in the bar loader information and also put in a new bar loader collet so the bar fits nice and tight but I am still getting the same result. Any help would be appreciated.

Increase your bar loader pressure

From my experience it is usually a mechanical issue.
    One of the following may occur
    The guide bush is too tight and the collet slips
    When machining (turning , drilling ect ) the collet is slipping
    The material diameter is changing in size too much
    If using an oil based bar feeder there may be too much oil on bar and the collet cannot grip correctly
    Use correct size collet for maxium grip
    Prefer Grooved type collet

Grooved collets normally start at .500 dia and larger....what diameter barstock are you running?

Sounds to me like your loader isnt calling End of Bar consistently. Sometimes the switch that trigger EOB wears out.

If your remnant is too short its a loader issue. Its not calling end of bar when it should for some reason.

Your collet slipping wouldnt create a short remnant, material chaning in size would create galling or runout, but not short bar ends, and too much oil? all bar feeders now days are flooded with hydraulic oil to create a viscious barrier so the bar isnt rubbing on the tube, so thats not it either.
    CNC Product Manager / Training Consultant

Is your part short on the front or on the back? You don't mention if a bar load is executed correctly or if it alarms out.
    My first instinct would be to increase part length in your bar loader settings by 1 or 2 inches. Also be sure that you update your changes by hitting input twice.
    Just some possible scenarios here:
    If your bar loader is missing the end of bar signal and your pusher travels too far then your headstock has a good chance of hitting the pusher collet on headstock retract. (the back of the main collet and this would force an overload and alarm out your machine) You would still get a full length part though but maybe a shorter rem.
    Another scenario would be missing end of bar signal and machining your part then pull the bar out of the bar loader collet during machining because the pusher has reached max travel. In this case your remnant would be left in the main collet on bar change and your barloader will alarm out because there is no remnant.