586,058 active members*
4,249 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Question: Painting Steel Rails CRP4848

Question Question: Painting Steel Rails CRP4848

Hey all,

Suedo dumb question, but want to get it right.

Can someone explain or walk me through what they did to their cold rolled steel rails to prep, prime, paint them for a CRP cnc system?
    From what ive been watching on youtube and reading, they prep the surface and remove all the rust and grime. Do people sand it down , then prime and paint it? Which type of paint/primer is best for this application, and what did everyone use as a guide when taping off the sides that the bearings ride on? Is it based off the thickness of the bearing?

Any help is appreciated and thanks for the help in advance,

Sincerely,

Chuck

Mine had no rust, so I just degreased the rails with acetone on a shop rag. DO NOT SAND the rail edges with anything coarse. A green Scotchbrite pad with oil can remove minor rust without appreciably changing the rail edge thickness. I apply a coat of pure carnuba automotive wax to coat the rail edges every three or four months to prevent rust.

I masked off the rail edges with 3/4" green tape from NAPA or other sources by centering it on one end of the rail edge and rolling it along the rail to the other end. Then run a finger along the corners to fold the tape downward evenly along the sides of the rail. Then spray Rustoleum spray can paint to the rails. Any color you want to use. It sticks well and no primer is necessary, but that's up to you if you want to use primer. If you want lettering, have a vinyl mask made at a sign shop and stick it to the fully cured painted rails. Then mask off the unaffected parts of the rails and spray on a second color for the lettering.
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

I wiped mine off with mineral spirits, lightly sanded them by hand with some 220, made pencil marks at a 1/2 inch off the edge, masked them with painters tape then sprayed them with Krylon Fusion spray paint, the color is 2328 Red Pepper and its a perfect match to the CNCRP red they use on their gantry risers and other stuff.

Attachment 186680
    My CNC Router Build - http://tinyurl.com/c3vs3ca