586,375 active members*
3,357 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

component list to build a BP power supply

I am retrofitting a bridgeport with the orginal sigma steppers, the new 203v gecko drives, and the Campbell combo breakout board. I have searched to try find out info on a power supply for this type of application with mixed results. Does any one have names of suppliers for the needed components.
    I want to try and get as close to 80v output as possible, 72v would be ok.

Todd

I just finished one.

I found a used toroid transformer at a local motor rewind shop.
    I was going to use a transformer out of an old microwave, remove the secondary and rewind a new one.
    I’m guessing a microwave trans would be 250 to 500VA. The toroid I am using, I’m guessing would be about 700-1000VA.

Then trans will be stepping 120v AC down to 50v AC once you rectify it the voltage will end up aprox. 1.4 times higher 50x1.4=70DC.
    you will need a rectifier I used a 200v 30A one.
    you will also need a capacitor. I bought my caps of of Ebay.
    Be aware when doing rapid movements with your heavy table. When decelerating the steppers may generate voltage, if you go over the max rated voltage for the Geckos they fry.
    Do a search on transformers, toroid transformer you will find lots of suppliers.
    Bob has a good how to.
    http://www.campbelldesigns.com/files...ply-part-1.pdf
    Help is kind of staggered around hear.
    Stephen

I see you have the 3 Cobra drives in here. Wow thats a big transformer. What wattage is that ?

I should have a new surface mount version of the Cobra drive by summer. These will be rated at 100volts @ 14 amps just for BP retrofits.

Larry K