586,504 active members*
3,388 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > Edgecam Simulator Problem

Edgecam Simulator Problem

We have been using Edgecam at our shop for about 2 years now.
    I am just now getting around to setting up the machine simulations with solid models of our CNC machines.

The problem I am having, is that the first machine I am setting up is an Okuma LB35II with live tooling.
    If you know the LB35, you know that the 12 station turret is offset in what would be the -Y- axis by about 2.75 inches.
    When I try to compensate for the offset, it puts the tools and the turret out of alignment and doesn't give a true representation of the machine.
    Part of the reason we chose Edgecam is for the simulation and tool interference detection and it's very frustrating to not be able to use it.
    I was told by our CS rep at Mfg Tech (Edgecam reseller) that this is a known issue but they didn't tell us about it.

I am attaching a couple screen caps for illustration.

Attachment 186976

Attachment 186980

If anyone knows of a work-around or a solution to this problem I would very much appreciate some help.

Thanks.

Dan

Hi Dan,

That post must have taken ages to model up, what is the file size on the post and do you have any issues with time spent loading the model into simulator?

Not seen one of these Okumas before so can you just confirm how the turret is working.

Is it the turret centre of rotation that is offset by 2.75" in the Y axis? Then on the turret are all the loads loaded so they are offset -2.75" in the Y axis so when you pick a new station the tool is already at y0?

It is a relatively large post 36MB.
    We were fortunate enough to receive solid models from the manufacturer of this and three other of our machines.

Yes, the turret is +2.75" and I set this as the home position and the tool change position, then -2.75" for the tool setting position.
    This way the center of rotation of the tools id 2.75" below the Turret in the simulation as shown above.

If I put the home position at +2.75 and both tool change and tool setting positions at -2.75 the tools are centered on the turret, but the turret is dropped -2.75 from its actual position in the simulation. (See screen cap)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edgecam3.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	187024

???

Hello,

I have a question, I also have an Okuma Machine tool Model supplied by our distributor. It was sent to me in a .Step File format, I opened it into Solidworks (2013) with no problems. Which then converts it over to a .sldprt file. From there I exported it to a .x_t file format for use in my Edgecam Simulator. I have set up quite a few post processors for machine tool simulation before, though none of these models have been as detailed as this. I guess my question is, how to I export each piece of the machine tool model into a lumped "dumb" solid for the Code Wizard. This will allow me to much more easily organize the models in the code wizard under the standard names i.e. "Base", "Guards", "Spindle" and so on so forth. I see your lathe post processor appears to be built from a machine tool vendor supplied model, how did you go about this? I know my Edgecam Reseller uses Inventor to export his models as "Dumb" Solid Surface bodies with an option called "Shrink Wrap"? Does anyone know the Solidworks equivalent? Currently exporting as a Parasolid (.x_t) format results in 467 individual solid bodies, I want about 7....

Thanks in advance,
    Matt-