586,105 active members*
3,210 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Complete newbie looking to get feet wet. Maybe Shapeoko?

Complete newbie looking to get feet wet. Maybe Shapeoko?

Hey guys, I'm a ME who has always been fascinated with CNC machines. I have some limited machine shop experience but all manual work. Ultimately I'm interested in cutting small brackets and such for hot rods. so maybe 18ga to 1/8th aluminum but that can wait for now. I do a lot of model airplanes so thought a small cnc router would be cool to have around also.

I was thinking about picking up a DIY router /cutter kit just to get used to dealing with G code, stepper motors, etc.

The best thing i've been able to find so far is the kit from shapeoko.

Does anyone have any better suggestions? tips?

If all you want to do is get used to dealing with the issues involved with CNC routers then the shapeoko seems like a good way to get started. However, if you then find that CNC routers are fascinating and a great way to make parts for model airplanes, etc., I suspect that you'll quickly realize that you "need" a more robust machine. Unfortunately, it will be difficult to recover the money you spend on the shapeoko when you get your next machine.

I think Jerry Burks says it very well in the first paragraph of the first post in his build thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wo...t_started.html

Just my 2 cents.

A few questions to help narrow down the choices.

1. What is your budget.
    2. What size of material do you plan on cutting.

Already know it should cut aluminum but that isn't a issue with any good build.

Quote Originally Posted by rooster433 View Post
    Hey guys, I'm a ME who has always been fascinated with CNC machines. I have some limited machine shop experience but all manual work. Ultimately I'm interested in cutting small brackets and such for hot rods. so maybe 18ga to 1/8th aluminum but that can wait for now. I do a lot of model airplanes so thought a small cnc router would be cool to have around also.
    My first thought is that the Shapeoko is too small for model airplane parts.
    I was thinking about picking up a DIY router /cutter kit just to get used to dealing with G code, stepper motors, etc.
    Nothing wrong with a kit. But honestly you will spend a lot of money and as such you want to make sure the machine is big enough. The shapeoko only has 200 x 200 mm cutting areas that would immediately eliminate the machine for just about all of your usage.
    The best thing i've been able to find so far is the kit from shapeoko.
    I don't see anything best at all with this machine.
    Does anyone have any better suggestions? tips?
    Well I already mentioned making sure it is big enough for your intended usage. If you want to machine aluminum make sure the machine is of a stiff enough design. Again I really doubt the Shapeoko is going to do much aluminum machining.

You may find yourself conflicted here between a router type machine and a more traditional mill especially if you want to machine a great deal of aluminum or steels. You need to think hard about all of your intended usages. Further make sure your supported spindle will have the required power. Dremel sized routers will take forever to do a significant amount of aluminum machining.

The Shapeoko is easily up-graded --- I used 1M MakerSlide to make my machine long enough for my needs and the cost to do that, and add a 1/4" driveshaft was quite affordable. You can see my machine here:

User:Willadams - ShapeOko