586,032 active members*
3,010 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle Motor replacement?

Have any of you replaced the (homier) Spindle motor? I have been thinking about it since my CNC parts are almost finished, once everything is together I will post pictures. Ok so the stock motor seems a little bit crappy, and I plan on doing a fair bit of threading and already have an Photointerrupter for the spindle GP1A05 here is a link to check out the specs http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/data...A/GP1A05.shtml

but I am not sure what motor to go with, I would like something that runs on standard 110v, and maybe 3/4-1hp should be more than enough. I am running ballscrews, and basically everything is custom made through collaberation with Mark Wrathall (hes on the boards a lot as rotarysmp) and Pierre Ingels. So I am really excited to get this thing humming with a motor! All suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Sean

Hi Sean,

I have been thinking the same as you. And upon researching I found that someone on a German Forum has done just that.

Here's a picture of how he's done it. He says he made the gears in-between for slowing it even more but then he's using it for manual work.
    I want to do it with a normal 750W Motor and a phase converter so that I can control it with Mach directly but I'll direct connect the motor with the spindle without having another reduction gear.

Here's the page just to be sure he's quoted :-) http://5128.rapidforum.com/topic=115281759267
    He says he's using a 750W motor as with the 100mm (4") chuck things got sluggish and evidently lacked power.

And the picture is attached.

Pierre
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails antrieb2.jpg  

Hey Pierre

awesome! first picture I have seen of an aftermarket motor hooked up, guess I will ahve to brush up on my German Now your saying that motor got sluggish with a 4inch? or that the previous motor lacked the power? I would be running it direct as well, I definately want to have i controlled via Mach3. These suckers are pricey, you know of any cheaper retailers?

Sean

The more exact translation would that he considered the factory control a PITA at slow speeds and that the motor lacked power also at slow speeds, especially with the larger 4" chuck.
    I have the exact same experience

As for the gear, I have been following eBay for a while now and there are tons of phase converters for sale used. Once you have it you can hunt the motor that's best suited.

Most 0.5kW to 1.5kW converters seem to go for around 80€ (100$), but you can find the occasional older version for as low as 30€.

Most all can be controlled directly via a Serial port, the older ones often take an analog input going from 0 to 10V that, with some electronics, can be driven from Mach3 too.