586,471 active members*
3,377 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Habegger Roller Guide Bushings?

Has anyone used these on their machines vs a rotary guide bushing (or in my case a "magic" guide bushing)? I'm interested because we currently run small stock, we need VERY close tolerances on this small stock. Obviously you need to get the play out of the guide bushing for this, but to remove the play you put a lot of friction on a wimpy bar to move +/- Z. The bars can be sorted but we want lights out operation without a bunch of broken airlines, fittings and metal pretzels to deal with in the morning. Oh and good parts too...

Have any of you used it & what machine?

Pros / Cons?

I have only used Habegger bushings in place of fixed on our small bar machine (<4mm).

Both the Habegger roller bushing and fixed bushing seem to hold tolerances comparably.

With respect to a stock synchronous rotary bushing, I would pick that for simplicity over the Habegger or Magic bushing. Just look at the parts diagram for the Habegger, there are a ton of parts in one of them. I have never had a problem with ours, however. They say you can run them tight but I am skeptical and not willing to destroy one as a learning experience.

Main problem with guide bushings is that I need to run really small stock at tight tolerances. The tighter the bushing the better it runs but then it will randomly just pretzel. I want to run lights out but cannot with those conditions. Would this solve my issues you think?