587,043 active members*
3,011 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > CNC Wood Router Project Log > WidgitMaster's Largest Steel Router Table Project 9ft x 5ft x 8" Water Cooled Spindle
Page 12 of 91 210111213142262
    Now its time to drill all the 5mm holes for mounting the linear trucks. The top was easily done with a drill chuck, but the opposite end required a slender tool holder!
    With all the holes drilled, I finished the larger radius using the same process as the previous end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9x5_Router_419.jpg   9x5_Router_420.jpg   9x5_Router_421.jpg   9x5_Router_422.jpg  

9x5_Router_423.jpg   9x5_Router_424.jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

With the ends of the weldment finished, i removed the tall angle plate and installed a vise with a rotary base. I placed the weldment in the vise so the ribs were facing up, and dialed in the inside machined surface. In order to get the linear truck to mount flat, I need to remove some of the weld using an endmill with a radius on the points. So I put some ink on the pre-machined surface and the weld, so I could visually blend in the newly machined areas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9x5_Router_427.jpg   9x5_Router_428.jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

With the machining of the welds on both ends finished, I proceeded to drill & tap six 1/4-20 UNC holes on the edges of the two ribs. After I deburred the weldment, I placed it on the gantry to see how everything looks!

The x-axis slide spanned the upper & lower trucks without any binding, and slid easily cross the entire distance!
    www.widgitmaster.com

This morning I finished up the slots in the middle of the weldment, they will be used for the z-axis limit actuator.
    Then I cut the linear rails for the z-axis, and machined them to length with a carbide endmill.

While I was in the shop, UPS delivered the two y-axis stepper motors I ordered from CNC Router Parts

Then I took a trip to the Air Boat Shop and bought a pile of scrap aluminum sheet metal. This will be used to make the electrical junction boxes, and hold the stepper motor sockets & E-Stop buttons!

Then I bought a large block of aluminum plate stock, 12" x 12" x 2"
    This will be used to make the y-axis stepper motor swing plates!

Now its been a busy few days, and my hand & back are tired (nuts) So enough for a while!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9x5_Router_442.jpg   9x5_Router_443.jpg   9x5_Router_444.jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Wow Eric;
    Looks like everything is progressing very nicely. I get tired just reading updates so I can imagine how the back and limbs feel. This thing is going to be a work of art!
    Thanks for posting.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Wow Eric;
    Looks like everything is progressing very nicely. I get tired just reading updates so I can imagine how the back and limbs feel. This thing is going to be a work of art!
    Thanks for posting.
    Bill
    You got it Bill :-)
    www.widgitmaster.com

Not sure if anyone realizes just how heavy this router is, so here is the current info I've been saving in a spreadsheet!
    And I'm not even finished with it
    www.widgitmaster.com

All morning I've been updating my CAD file, with the actual dimensions of all the finished parts! Its a lot of work, but there will be less confusion & scrap parts in the long run!

Also, the UPS guy dropped more packages on my door step! Mostly aluminum tubes, plates & channels. The channel will be used to support the IGUS Cable Chain, on both X & Y axis. So far, I have won about 10-ft of the cable chain #250.03.55.

But one of the packages contained the XHC Wireless MPG Pendant M# LHB04, its run off a USB port and works with MACH3 software! Cant wait to use it on this new machine.
    :wee:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9x5_Router_447.jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Eric, a question about those Temco limit switches you are using mate. I'm still in the gathering parts stage (and expect to be for the next year or so!) of my 9' x 5' machine build, and was looking at them as they seem quite well made. What made you select them over any others out there?

I wanted to get your thoughts on them before I go splurging as I'm looking at the same ones, but with the adjustable plate so you can move the wheel in and out to allow for fine tuning, or maybe even the plain plunger ones.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    Eric, a question about those Temco limit switches you are using mate. I'm still in the gathering parts stage (and expect to be for the next year or so!) of my 9' x 5' machine build, and was looking at them as they seem quite well made. What made you select them over any others out there?

I wanted to get your thoughts on them before I go splurging as I'm looking at the same ones, but with the adjustable plate so you can move the wheel in and out to allow for fine tuning, or maybe even the plain plunger ones.

cheers, Ian
    Hi Ian,
    Actually, I have an assortment of limit switches in my stash. Those Temco roller-contact switches were left over from a previous project. I like them as they have a nice cast alum body, and have screw terminals. When I design something, I use what ever fits the application of the project. If you look at their application, there is a setscrew which can be adjusted and locked into position. The Temco with the long arm just look sloppy, and take up a lot of space!
    There are two different size limit switches being used in this build, as the x & z axis have limited space for the switches.
    Widgit
    www.widgitmaster.com

This morning I worked on the x-axis stepper motor mounting frame, this will require some welding! First I milled all the plates square & to size, then I held them together with a big magnetic V-Block. The block is precision squared, and has a nifty on/off switch! With all the plates beveled for welding, I clamped the mess together and threw it in my trunk! So I drove to the welding shop, only to find he only has a MIG welder! And this needs a TIG welder So I drove up and down a few driveways in the industrial area, until I saw a sign that said WELDING!

He was glad to do the job, had a TIG welder, and only charged me $40 cash!

So back to the shop where I deburred the welds, and started milling it perfectly square so the motor & pinion track properly. First I put a pair 2-4-6 blocks in the vise, and put the weldment between the blocks. With the vise tight, and a large clamp holding everything solid, I used my small face-mill to flatten the top surface.

Now I can drill & counter-bore six holes for 1/4" SHCS. Next I place the weldment in the vise so it was positioned at an angle. In order to finish milling the sides, I place a long parallel across the pointed edges. Then I used a dial indicator to sweep the parallel, while tapping in down until I had zero on both sides. Then I used an endmill to cut the sides the same height.

The weldment fit nicely on the back of the x-axis slide frame, and the only thin left is to mill a big slot for the motor pulley to go through!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9x5_Router_464.jpg   9x5_Router_465.jpg   9x5_Router_466.jpg   9x5_Router_467.jpg  

9x5_Router_468.jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

So what do you think of the powder-coat colors?

BLACK
    RED

I'm thinking the black would show all the dust!
    The red will keep everyone alert to sharp moving objects, and contrast nicely with the silver rails & black wire chain!
    www.widgitmaster.com

I powder coated some parts of my plasma cutter red. It sure did look nice when it was new.
    Most of it has a nice black coating all over it now.

I think red is still a good choice.
    Lee

Thanks Lee!

Today I finished the 1/4" wide slots in the weldment, and the long slot between them. Then I put a big hole in the sides, just to lighten it up a little!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9x5_Router_469.jpg   9x5_Router_470.jpg   9x5_Router_471.jpg   9x5_Router_472.jpg  

www.widgitmaster.com

Today I worked on the Z-Axis limit switch slide bar, I started out with a 5/16" x 1 1/4" x 16" cold roll steel. First I cut it to length, then I put some small blocks in the vise and a skinny parallel. Using a 1/2" 4-flute Cobalt endmill, I milled a short section of the bar while it was clamped in the vise by the two small blocks. This will ensure the final thickness of .1500" will stay +-.002" over the entire length milled. After doing one section, I re-positioned the blocks, and repeated the process. Then I set the unfinished section between the blocks and milled it to the same setting. This went quick, and the bar curled up like a Corn-Chip as expected.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9x5_Router_475.jpg   9x5_Router_476.jpg   9x5_Router_477.jpg   9x5_Router_478.jpg  

9x5_Router_479.jpg   9x5_Router_480.jpg   9x5_Router_481.jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

In order to straighten the bar, I placed three blocks in the vise to press on the high point between the blocks. I repeated the process several times, until the bar was reasonably straight.
    With the bar straightened, I proceeded to finish milling the square step on both ends. Then I drilled & reamed all the .2495" diam through holes, at their respective locations.
    After drilling, the ends warped again, so I repeated the straightening process on more time.

Then I cut some steel pins, and turned one with grooves for springs. All the holes have a slight chamfer, as do the pins, in preparation for TIG welding.

This assembly can not be installed until the powder-coating is finished, and the bar and the slide frame will receive the coating.

The pins on the ends of the bar will be drilled & tapped through the center, and a button head screw will be used to hold the bar but allow it to slide. The tall pin will protrude through the slot in the slide frame, and will be in contact with the micro-switch. As the ball nut mount moves up & down in the frame, it will contact the step in the bar and move it slightly. This will trigger the limit switch! This design took a little brainstorming, as there was so little space available in the frame cavity. Now I have a limit in both directions of the Z-Axis, using only one micro-switch!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9x5_Router_488.jpg   9x5_Router_489.jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

neet solution for the z-limit switch.

Quote Originally Posted by nlancaster View Post
    neet solution for the z-limit switch.
    Thanks!

Today I looked at the hole in the side of the weldments, and they just didn't look right! So I made a few calculations and decided on a nice triangle instead!

After milling the side triangles, I drilled & counter bored a few more holes in the back surface. Then I turned up a pair of custom pins in the lathe, with a #10-24 thread thru their center. Then I took a trip to the welder, and had the pins in the limit slide bar TIG welded. Then he welded the two custom pins to the motor mounting frame.

The two pins with the #10-24 threads, will be used along with two 17 PSI compression springs to adjust the pressure of the pinion gear on the rack gear. This will be accomplished with an aluminum plate which attaches the motor pulley via a timing belt to the pinion gear pulley. The aluminum plate will be attached to the steel frame via 4x shoulder bolts. The #10 SHCS & the springs are on order.
    www.widgitmaster.com

Over the years of lurking here I have seen your builds in the past, always top notch

Quote Originally Posted by nlancaster View Post
    Over the years of lurking here I have seen your builds in the past, always top notch
    Thanks!

The long screws & springs arrived!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9x5_Router_494.jpg  
    www.widgitmaster.com

Page 12 of 91 210111213142262