586,113 active members*
3,277 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > Edgecam Simulation Models, Shrink Wrap for Solidworks?

Edgecam Simulation Models, Shrink Wrap for Solidworks?

Hello,

I have a question, I also have an Okuma Machine tool Model supplied by our distributor. It was sent to me in a .Step File format, I opened it into Solidworks (2013) with no problems. Which then converts it over to a .sldprt file. From there I exported it to a .x_t file format for use in my Edgecam Simulator. I have set up quite a few post processors for machine tool simulation before, though none of these models have been as detailed as this. I guess my question is, how to I export each piece of the machine tool model into a lumped "dumb" solid for the Code Wizard. This will allow me to much more easily organize the models in the code wizard under the standard names i.e. "Base", "Guards", "Spindle" and so on so forth. I know my Edgecam Re-seller uses Inventor to export his models as "Dumb" Solid Surface bodies with an option called "Shrink Wrap"? Does anyone know the Solidworks equivalent? Currently exporting as a Parasolid (.x_t) format results in 467 individual solid bodies, I want about 7....

Thanks in advance,
    Matt-

Matt,

I don't use soldiworks I use inventor, but did a quick search for you and this is what I found. Hope it helps.

To make a single part from multiple parts in Solidworks 2005 or later:

1. Create a Solidworks assembly that includes the multiple parts that you want to combine.
    2. Save the new Solidworks assembly
    3. In the new Solidworks assembly, click “File-Save As”
    4. In the “Save As” dialog,

a) In the “Save as type” box, select “Part”.
    b) In the “File name” box, specify the filename for the new part.
    c) At the bottom of the “Save As” dialog, under “Assembly geometry to save in part file” heading, make your selection by checking the proper small circular box.
    d) Click Save.

A new part will be created in the same directory as the assembly. The new part will combine all the multiple parts in the assembly into one single part.

Chad