586,105 active members*
3,248 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New 2.1 build starting

Hello,
    I am starting a new 2.1 build. The only change I am looking at is extending the X rails to 36" and making the Y axis 25.5 ( I already have a 1/4" X 2-1/2 X 24" O-1 Steel plate I don't want to cut )

I currently have a Zen Toolworks 12X12 that is just not rigid or big enough for me.

Questions....

1. I am looking at using my Zen CNC to help build the Momus. With the my current CNC I have two ideas on how to use it.
    Option a. Mount a center drill and peck drill .01 to mark hole locations. Then drill and tap on the drill press.
    Option b. With an engraving bit scribe the locations on the blued aluminum. Then center drill, drill and tap each hole as one step before moving to the next hole on the drill press.
    Option c. ???
    Does anyone have an opinion or suggestion on this ?

2. If I have proof I purchased the plans does anyone have dxf files for the aluminum parts ?

3. If I am adding the Z-Axis thrust plate should I add 1/2" to part 16 and the Z-Axis ACME rod to get the full travel ?

4. With the extra forces on the right size of the X-Axis can anyone see an advantage of using higher grade bearings on that side? ( ABEC-9 or ceramic )

5. I saw some people had something that mounted in a drill press that helped keep the tap wrench centered. I think someone said they got it on Amazon. Does anyone have the name or link to this tool ?

Thank you in advance.
    Eric

That was me I guess, this is the one I got:
    Triton Industrial Precision Spring Loaded Tap Guide - Amazon.com

Funny you ask just now, because today I got a newsletter from the little machine shop with an even better solution that they have on sale.
    I will post it in a seperate thread in this forum.
    --
    Mac

Thanks Mac thats what I was looking for. I also found Big Gator Tools tap guide Has anyone used one of these ?

I did some tests last night on some scrap aluminum and the Zen CNC. I have beed pushing it hard lately and I think it is out of calibration by .005 . I am going to clean and retune it this weekend.

Attachment 188076

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog_1002 View Post
    I also found Big Gator Tools tap guide Has anyone used one of these ?
    I have the metric and standard ones of these (I grabbed the drill guides also, for giggles).. All I can say is I will never tap again without it (so long as it fits in the area being tapped). Over the years I have broke a few cheap carbon taps off in projects and been severally pissed. On my machine I needed to drill and tap 40 holes in 6061 C-Channel. I did them all with one tap, by hand (with Tap Magic) in less then an hr (I think it took longer to line up & drill the holes on my drill press).

Is it just a hunk of metal with a bunch of holes in it? yes
    Is it something you could make? probably
    Is the time it would take to make one worth less then $25 to you? that's up to you, I didnt have a hunk of metal to begin with