586,036 active members*
3,771 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Ah-Ha skipping steps only in 1 direction. Eh???

I have a ShopTask machine retrofitted with Ah-Ha and it generally works fine. However, occasionally it skips steps in the Y axis, but only going one direction. It even skips steps at very low speed, so it's not like I'm exceeding the torque of the motor. A loose wire would affect it going both directions, so that's likely not it. I did try the Clear-All command and it acted better, but still occasionally skipped steps. I'm suspicious that it is thinking that there is a limit switch in one direction activating erratically.

I will nominate anyone that solves this, for the Nobel Prize in Ah-Ha science. :drowning:

cnc1000

Further info: It still acts up the same way. Only the Y axis, and only in one direction. Every single time it only skips in one direction, the same every time. I turned off the motor power supplies and turned the cranks by hand. They move easily and smoothly in both directions. Since it moves smoothly in one direction, I conclude that it is not a wiring problem, since it uses both phases to go both directions. I removed the control card and cleaned it. It was already spotless. No change. I verified that the limit switch testing was off, so even if there was a semi-short on one, it would be ignored. I reset the home position and made sure I'm in a legal area. Same problem. This seems like it is impossible to be happening. How can this be? Anyone?
    cnc1000

Have you resolved this issue? I have been running AH-HA systems for over 10 years now and never had this issue you are describing. I have DRO's on my machines too, so I would see any lost steps. I have had the motor plugs have an intermittent contact, but the motors will squeal when this happens and will loose allot of steps all at one time. Try some dielectric grease on the motor plug contacts and see if your problem goes away.

Also, I have Pacific Scientific steppers on my machines. Are yours the same quality? Could be an issue with your stepper motor only running in that one direction.

What are you referring to as the Clear-All command? I'm not sure I understand what your talking about in that statement.