586,384 active members*
3,716 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Engraving on an Arc using Haas Super Mini MIll

Engraving on an Arc using Haas Super Mini MIll

I am trying to use a Haas Mini Mill to do engraving and want it to be in a Circle. Is there any way to do this without drwing it on a cad sytem and having it post it out to the machine. I would like to be able to program it at the machine.
    Thanks in Advance!

I tried that once and there is no way that I could find to engrave on an arc.
    The other thing that really sucks about Haas engraving at the machine is that you cannot change the spacing between letters without programming each letter individually which kinda defeats the purpose. The best thing you can do is use a cam program to output the engraving on whatever shape you want. Abou the only thing I use the one on the machine for anymore is serial numbers.

JP

Thanks for the input, I will keep trying to figure it out, but in the mean time will try to use a cam system. As advanced as the machines are these days you would think you could do something as simple as this!

It's an option...talk to your sales guy...

While engraving does not add a lot of functionality to a part, the actual toolpaths can be as complex as any part could be, especially if you get into raised lettering, 3d relief, etc.

Rather than pay Haas for a function with, I suppose somewhat limited functionality, I think the money would be better spent as part of a good cam package. I believe there is good advantage in being able to place text on all sorts of surfaces, along various profiles, and to simulate it before you take a wild guess and hope it doesn't wreck something on the nearly finished part, using a blind routine built into the control. But that might just be me, a machinist afraid of loud noises, high spindle motor current draw and servo overloads
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

060314-0904 EST USA

chop5280:

Engraving on an arc is not a simple function, but here is an outline of what you can do. I have not tried it and it is complex.

The simplest form assumes monospacing. You will need macro capability.

Each character will have to be processed individually. HAAS G47 provides both scaling and rotation.

You will need some basic information entered into variables. Character height and all fixed parameters of G47.

You may want to put a G5x as the center of your arc.

Calculate your character width from the character height. Calculate the starting angle from the number of characters. Calculate the incremental angle from the radius of the arc and the number of characters. You will need an individual G47 for each character.

As Hu and gar noted, this is complex. If your machine doesn't already have scaling and rotation, you can buy a low-end CAM system that will do everything you want and more for less then you would have to pay HAAS for the option. --ch

I have access to mastercam, Just haven't been successful at getting it to post out right. Guess I will keep trying though. Thanks for all the great thoughts!

To chop 5280

Hi, I have discuss about this issue on Fadal room, I guess you wanted to know and here is the link:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19132

I dont really know if Fanuc control have build in macro function Wrap like in Fadal. If not we can press them to do so. Come on men, this is 21st century, You cant hide and keep colect money like this. Well I over express myself. Chop this build in already in Fadal control more than a decade, so I dont know if it in the Hass or not.

best regard

Sorry, Chop talking about engrave on an art, I reply about wrap on an cylinder.

060410-1843 EST USA

chop5280:

Your best solution is to get Mastercam to work for you because it will greatly improve your engraving capabilities.

Re: Engraving on an Arc using Haas Super Mini MIll

you can use axis mapping if you have a fourth axis.put the a axis flat on the table and use a G107 a0 x0.it will then convert all the x moves to an "A" move and therefore keep the letters engraving at the same x position, rotating the a axis to get to the next letter etc..you have to specify the radius of which you are cutting on or it will pull out the setting in the control on the fourth axis diameter. you could just change the setting to match but putting the radius on the g47 line is the safest bet.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalCarpenter View Post
    you can use axis mapping if you have a fourth axis.put the a axis flat on the table and use a G107 a0 x0.it will then convert all the x moves to an "A" move and therefore keep the letters engraving at the same x position, rotating the a axis to get to the next letter etc..you have to specify the radius of which you are cutting on or it will pull out the setting in the control on the fourth axis diameter. you could just change the setting to match but putting the radius on the g47 line is the safest bet.
    NINE YEAR OLD POST!!!!!!!!
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    Interesting indeed as our students just this last fall built a penny press and used a HASS lathe to engrave the die for imprinting a scene on the pennies.
    Kinda timely I'd say.
    They used Master-Cam to layout and design and then about 36000 engraving lines later had a die ready for hardening.
    What's old for one is of current interest for another - or some sort of verbiage.
    YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    I realize that.I was just putting the info here because I know from my own experience that cnczone is a reference for some people.I don't believe in too much reference material.Thanks though

Quote Originally Posted by MetalCarpenter View Post
    I realize that.I was just putting the info here because I know from my own experience that cnczone is a reference for some people.I don't believe in too much reference material.Thanks though
    Then start a new thread with very detailed info included. Resurrecting a nine years old post is not the way to do it.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28