586,352 active members*
3,721 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Drawing Standards

I have need to teach some people how to make drawings using SolidWorks, I do not use it! The problem is I need to find some type of standards showing the correct views, I have a book but is about 10 years old. Any info will help.
    Thanks, Bill

The Solidworks tutorial that comes with the software (I'm speaking for 2003, I don't know about the other versions but I assume they're the same) will take you all the way through from drawing your part to layout on a sheet that you could print out for your client (elevation, cross sections).

Jen
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Let me explain this better, the so called drafts persons in the office can not make standard veiws, example top, right & bottom views. What I get is the right side is really the left side. This is hard to explain until you have seen how bad the drawings are. A simple drawing in our shop right now has 7! views, I have taken a cardboard box and marked it with the correct views but these guys say it is wrong acorrding to Solidworks, I think when they start a drawing it is started in the wrong plane? Does this sound correct?
    Thanks, Bill

Bill,
    He may have been used to "First Angle Projection" that is the norm in Europe. It is mainly this continent that uses "Third Angle Projection" that is considered "wrong" to the other side of the plannet. Both are valid. It's just a foreign way to look at things. I beleive that 3rd angle is correct only because that's all I've been exposed to. I'm willing to bet that there is a switch in
    Solid Works to toggle that.
    "The source of expertise is not in the memorization of the minute details of a subject but in the thorough understanding of the fundamental concepts on which it is based." --author unknown

Lurking on the side

OK sounds like upside down thinking - SW vs real life. I've dabbled in SW and found it a bit quirky on the selection of aixis. So I vote with Turbine, Bill

Don't get me wrong its a VERY good 3D model program (and in NZ I can take an image to my moldmaker and he sorts it out and validates the stress in the mold too) --and WAY better for producing a 3D than Autocad (IMHO). BUT, I still have a few outputs WRONG side up - Maybe 'cause I did them in NZ (eh?) . Maybe Jennifer could add insight to this too. She seems well versed in SW using at the shop and all.

BTW - Don't know if there has been a revew/use response on what woiks/don't on modeling/design programs here in the "ZONE". Might be usefuill/cool/NTK.

:cheers: JIM

You would think the standards are universal, but it doesn’t work that way. I work off prints from around the world and I have learned to study them very carefully before I make chips. Top for bottom, and right for left is common and frustrating if you just lost a half a days work. If you have control of the people doing the drafting I would suggest they toggle the style to your preference. Try not to get the engineers involved or you’ll really be in for a battle.

Gary

We use 1st & 3rd angle drawings locally. It's sometimes a bit confusing......
    The thing that makes me laugh is that the drafters over here prints boldly in one corner, "If in doubt, please ask"!

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

I thought you were talking about a client who couldn't send good drawings.

I didn't realize you were talking about co-workers.

OK guys this is what i did, a Solidworks drawing of a 123 block with one corner 45 degree x 1/2 used the correct planes and guess what, Solidworks put the views in the correct. Solidworks is a good program. The proplem is we have people in the engineering who have no training in drafting at all. I ordered a couple of books to teach & help these people. My personal book is "Engineering Drawing and Design" like I said before a simple drawing with 7 views and every veiw has demensions everywhere I really have my work cut out for me.
    BTW, I been proto/type machinist for 20 years I have seen drawings from aerospace, automotive, electronics and everything else and so far this is the worst I seen in a long time.
    Thanks again, Bill

Glad you have found some closure.
    Worse than automotive??? I've been spoiled on aircraft drawings. I was asked to help quote some automotive parts once.
    Hopefully the last. That was the worst. I gave them back to sales and told them to get something I could read or forget it. Kindergardeners can do better than that.

Lets put this part with it's 537 holes on an A size and FAX it to 'em. .......................yeah that works
    "The source of expertise is not in the memorization of the minute details of a subject but in the thorough understanding of the fundamental concepts on which it is based." --author unknown

Turbine I have not seen any drawings bigger than "B" size in almost 10 years. As for a drawing program for me I am going to try out Alibre Design at home.
    Thanks again, Bill

Turbine,
    That faxed part sounds so familiar...... The other day someone faxed me a drawing on an A4. It was for a fine blanking tool. They can't even tell me for sure what thickness plate they want to form and blank. I told the guy the tool would cost about 200 grand for the design, forming & blanking! He nearly went into labour due to shock! I then told him the price would come down a fair amount if they supply me with a decent set of drawings that includes all the calculations,I havent heard from him since.......

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Engineering Fee !
    What Engineering fee? I sent you a print!

How bout I fax it back again and you tell me what it says