586,224 active members*
3,142 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > New forum User, New to CNC, with New ZenBot.

New forum User, New to CNC, with New ZenBot.

Thanks for the great forum, been lurking, decided to register and tell everyone about my new ZenBot. I know a lot of people are looking for a small desktop router for small business or hobby use. I was too, and had a $2000 budget for everything, router, control, software, etc. I decided to post this review to give back to the forums and to help others looking for a small inexpensive machine. When I started, I had NO knowledge of CNC machines, the software required or brands available.

My budget eliminated a lot of choices when shopping. My research narrowed it down to an ebay Chinese unit or the ZenBot 1216. After calling ZenBot, I decided to go with them because this was my first CNC machine and first experience with any computer controlled machine. I felt like I could get better customer support, and the price was only slightly higher. I also had read the troubles with the Chinese control boxes, while the Gecko boxes that come with the ZenBots seemed to get good reviews from everyone. Only information I had was found on this forum or other forums on the internet. I had zero experience with CNC machines or G-code before this purchase.

Purpose:
    I needed a small CNC router to cut out the front aluminum face plate and plastic backing plate for a small piece of electronic test equipment that I manufacture. Before getting the Zenbot , I would drill the round openings for the switches and LEDs with a drill press, and pay a local sign shop $5 each piece to cut a 2.5 X .5 rectangular opening for an LCD. With demand increasing I wanted to bring it all in house to speed things up and have better quality control. The sign shop also was inconsistent in it placement of the LCD opening. I was cutting the rectangle opening in the backing plate myself, so there was always a difference in the way things aligned up. I ended up doing a lot of hand fitting when I assembled the units wasting time.

Software:
    Mach 3, with New Fangled Wizards add on. I currently do not have any other CAD or CAM software. Total cost of software was $225.00. Wizards are little apps that allow you to do simple task, such as cut a hole or mill a pocket without having to have any other CAD or CAM software. There are two sets of wizards that come with Mach 3. Some are user produced and are free. Others are written and supported by New Fangled wizards. The cost is 50 dollars extra to get the Newfangled ones to work. It is confusing if you don’t know.

Machine.
    I have the 1216 ZenBot, with the Hitachi M12VC router mount. In addition I ordered the the ZenBot Gecko G540 4 axis control box. I also order a 1/8 collet from precise bits and the router from amazon. Total cost of hardware minus a used desktop PC was around $1385.00 plus shipping on all the above. With shipping I’m around $1700 for everything. The PC was already here and not being used, BTW I would value it at 200 dollars.

Review:
    The 1216 arrived about four weeks after I ordered it. The ZenBot representative told me there would be a wait, so I was prepared. The machine was well packed and easily assembled. It took about 30 minutes to install the Mach 3 software on my PC and get the machine to move using the arrow keys. You need to download and install a setup file from ZenBot that configures Mach 3 for the machine. Not sure if other machines have a file like that, but it saves a lot of time not having to figure all of it out.
    The hardest part was figuring out the Mach 3 wizards and how they worked. I cut a piece of ½ inch marine plywood to fit the router table, to prevent myself from cutting the factory ZenBot table on accident. That was a good move. If I had not done so I would have cut or drilled the factory table by mistake three or four times.
    Within 3-4 hours of playing around, I was able to link several wizards applications together and cut a finished faceplate. I did manage to bang it past it’s travel limits a few times. The unit has no limit switches. The next day I had figured out enough about the wizards and G-code, that In was able to use it to produce a custom fixture to hold three faceplates, and also learn enough of the newfangled wizards to be able cut the three faceplates at one time. The Newfangled wizards has a to-do list, and you simply put in the operations you want in the order you want. Then you save that as a text file and pull it up when you want to run it.
    All in all I'm pretty happy with my purchase, it simply works. I don’t have any other machine to compare it to, so I’m not sure what I’m missing out on as compared to more expensive machines. I know now I’m saving time on final assembly of my product because all the holes and opening align on the faceplate and backing plate. I’m also saving 5 dollars on every unit, so the Zenbot will pay for itself after 380 units or so. My use for it is pretty simple and straight forward, so those wishing to do larger or more complex projects my need larger, more complex machines and /or software.

PROs.
    Inexpensive, good customer support, the files that preconfigure Mach 3 for you almost makes it turn key, and it’s well built. Made in the USA is bonus for me.

CONs.
    Long wait to get one, no limit switches.

Hi VWbeamer --

Nice write up detailing your manufacturing application using a ZenBot. I, for one, would be interested in seeing a couple of photos of your face-plate fixture(s) and the finished product. Great job!

While the ZenBot does not have limit/home switches, ...they could be added. Mach3, however, has a setting that provides "soft limits" that can be used without the additional cost. The operation procedure is described in this thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/commer...tml#post943500 BTW, I also have a 1216 ZenBot and the soft limits provide a measure of protection from a crash if things go out-of-bounds when running a big job on relatively small machine. If you haven't already discovered "soft limits" you may find this helpful.

Welcome to the forum.

--Rich

Thanks, I will try the soft limits. I will try to get some pictures up, but I now made a new fixture that only holds two faceplates.

Attachment 191526Attachment 191522
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020376.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	191524

Picture of fixture and the faceplate

Cool!

So you are drilling the holes and cutting the LCD opening with this fixture, correct? How are you doing the faceplate graphics? Are the graphics silkscreen or engraving?
    BTW, I took a quick look at your site: Green Engine Tuning ...looks like an interesting product. Thanks for sharing your application and experiences.

--Rich

Thanks Rich,

The faceplate pictured was cut by my old methods, I didn't have any of the new ones available when I took the picture. The one pictured is actually a reject because the powder coat has streaks in caused by trying to clean it with solvents. But you can get an idea of what I'm doing.

I cut the opening and drill 1/8 pilot holes with the ZenBot. The fixture holds two faceplates, I originally tried to get three, but I need another 1/2 inch of travel to keep from bumping into the y limits. I also cut the plastic backing plate on the CNC using the same fixture. Before I was cutting the opening in backing plate by drilling a series of holes on the drill press to create an opening, and then using a file to smooth it out. The plastic is soft so it was easy and produced a smooth opening. The problem was the opening never lined up perfectly between the faceplate and the backing plate. Even when the sign shop cut both holes it didn't line up, because he didn't have a fixture to hold the parts, he just taped them to his table. As result, the LCD display in the finish product would be slightly off center or crooked. Now since both are cut on the same fixture the final assembly is a lot quicker and the end product is perfect. The CNC saves me about 15 minutes per unit because in final assembly all the holes and opening line up perfectly and no hand fitting is needed. That's not counting the time saved traveling to the sign shop or cutting the openings by hand.

I still drill the holes to size on the drill press because it's faster at making holes. I did make another fixture with the CNC to hold the faceplate on the drill press, so the CNC has improved speed and quality there also.

I powder coat the aluminum faceplate and then have a local guy laser engrave them for me.