586,096 active members*
3,588 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Has anyone used this pallet changer on a tormach before?

Has anyone used this pallet changer on a tormach before?

I am going to have some high volume parts soon, and wanted to invest in something like this:

http://www.piersonworkholding.com/pallet-changer.php

Is it worth the time saved over pinning the table http://www.ihcnc.com/pages/mill-tips.php using Mic 6 fixture plates and tightening 6-8 bolts?

At $2K for the system and $200 for each pallet that is still 2 inches shy of your max travel.

$2800 buys lots of mic 6, bolts, pins and even a nice cordless drill/driver with a torque clutch you can use to tighten the bolts fast, and to the same torque

If you don't want to pin the table you can always make a fixture that clamps to the table with the pin guides and threaded inserts in it.

Sent from tapatalk

I pinned my table, its easy. Although I use soft jaws the most. John Grimsmo on YouTube has a vacuum pallet system and its pretty slick, I'm thinking about going that route soon.

Yeah, but this has all the advantages of the vacuum used as a pallet changer, but without needing vacuum.

I won't be drilling into the mill, but I do like the idea of making a plate to put the pins in, and then mount that to the table with bolts. And a 1" slab of 6061 is ~$100

I think I paid almost half that for a piece 10x20 locally

Quote Originally Posted by mrquacker View Post
    Yeah, but this has all the advantages of the vacuum used as a pallet changer, but without needing vacuum.

I won't be drilling into the mill, but I do like the idea of making a plate to put the pins in, and then mount that to the table with bolts. And a 1" slab of 6061 is ~$100
    Not sure it's fair to say it has ALL the advantages of a vacuum; it wouldnt work well for holding down sheets of material. I've never used the pierson system, but it only uses air to actuate a ball-lock. I use ball-locks all over the place, and aside from their relatively high cost, they work excellently. IMO, they're the way to go if you want to accurately and repeatably remove and replace fixturing.

The pierson system looks nice, as you would normall need to access a set screw somewhere on the ball-lock to actuate it.

If you want to buy cast tooling plate, call Admiral Metals in Woburn, Mass. They sell offcuts for like $2.50/lb and they often have pretty decent-sized pieces.

That Pierson system does look really clean. You could probably do your own implementation of something like it for a lot less, but you have to figure what your time's worth. Presumably you could at least make your own pallets.

I think you can try the following link. this pallet changer can be used in mazak

http://cncmachineools.org/632/automa...-changers.html