586,296 active members*
4,193 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Chinese 3-in-1 CNC conversion advice

Chinese 3-in-1 CNC conversion advice

Hi - first post

I am planning to convert a chinese 3-in-1 lathe/mill/drill (HQ-500) to cnc. The machine is the same or very similar to Craftex B2229, Bolton BT500, Grizzly B9729, etc.

I have seen an impressive job done at h t t p : // n o v a l a b . o r g / c n c / on a Smithy 1220LTD. I would like to use the same approach:
    1. Direct stepper motors on all 3 axes. Can anyone confirm that around 1000 oz.in. motors will be sufficient?
    2. Ball screws on all 3 axes. Can anyone recommend the size/model that would be appropriate for this size machine?

Any advice appreciated.

-subok

IMHO a 1000oz motor would be excessively large and serve no useful purpose! The machine would twist out of shape before
    that amount of 'useful' force could be applied to the cutting tool or workpiece! I would say most items below the 450oz
    would be of more benefit!

Kawazuki is right. There is no need for that large of a stepper. I do not need my table or part to move faster or with more power. I need end mills that are stronger. LOL

Here's my advice: the only thing worse than dumping a bunch of cash on one of those 3-in-1 machines is dumping a second bunch of cash CNCing one of them.

They're a huge pile of compromises, nearly of them bad. The only thing they gain you, sort of, is floor space. It takes up as much room as a decent size lathe, but isn't anywhere near as rigid, so it won't turn anything nearly as large. It takes up as much room as a decent size mill-drill, but it's nowhere near as rigid, and you're forced to BS all sorts of setups on that tiny table. You've got barely any Z to work with since you've only got the quill on the end of that head hanging way out there. And, when you've got it set up for milling and need to turn a part, you get to tear down your milling setup, and vice versa.

If you're tight on space, I'd consider just about anything to open up some space and get individual machines, even somewhat smaller ones. Like I said, that machine has a nominal 16" swing, but there's no way you're turning something 16" unless it's made of wood. It's probably more in the class of the 9x20 lathes. If you have to choose between this machine and no machine, then yes, it's better than no machine, but that's about all I'd say for it. If you already had it, I'd say sure, give it a go. But if you're buying new and can make a choice, I wouldn't choose this unless I really had to. Being forced to swap lathe and mill setups alone would be a dealbreaker for me. I've learned the hard way that anything that increases setup time basically kills my shop productivity which kills the fun. If you have 90 minutes to work one night and you spend 45 minutes of that resetting things, it gets frustrating.

Sansbury also speaks the truth. My first machine was a Smithy (manual). It was a compromise in every way. Yes some people are capable with them (and Sherlines too though a different set of compromises). It is much easier on a machine built specifically for the job at hand. What is that old saying? "Jack of all trades, Master of none.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Thanks for the responses. It would certainly be nice to have a better mill, but this 3-in-1 is what I have at present.

Does anyone have a recommendation about what ball screws would be appropriate?

First off you should be slapped for putting all those spaces in between the Novalab website you mentioned in your first post, why?

Second Waaay back before I knew better I too thought the 3 in 1 machines were the koolest things I had ever seen and yes they are great for a small shop. But I am glad I never bought one and have been very happy with a seperate lathe and milling machine. That being said you will find a lot of people aka haters as some like to call them that do not like the 3 in 1's and you will probably be hard press to find any good responses.

There is one other guy and I can't remember his name but he is on this forum that did a 3 in 1 conversion, maybe look through the photo album maybe about 4 to 5 years back and you might find it. Good luck.

Fannblade is doing a 3-in-1 cnc conversion.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...k_warning.html
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Hoss, glad you found that link. The part that sucks is how much info was lost or not forwarded after a change in the "Zone". The pics which describe so much are gone. Same with some early Dyna conversions, great builds and info, all gone. Sucks.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Hoss, thanks very much for that link; extremely useful.