586,060 active members*
4,242 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > New machine almost ready but questions?!

New machine almost ready but questions?!

I have my router almost finished and I have out my acme on the "x" axis and I'm getting a little movement from the gantry. I'm using a regular acme nut mocked up right now but I'm wondering if it'll get better once I make my plastic nut for it. I know the acme has a little bit of a wobble in it. Can I straighten that out?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372073057.006754.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	183.3 KB 
ID:	189474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372073073.767251.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	200.5 KB 
ID:	189476

You should get a anti backlash nut. A normal Acme nut has to much play in it that will cause jitter in your cuts. Pretty much when the screw reverse direction there is a small window that the gantry doesn't move because it's waiting for the slack (empty area between threads) to catch up and push it again. It's very prevalent on back and forth motions.

Anti backlash nuts have a couple with a spring on it to always have the threads engaged with the screw so that there is NO gap or slack to wait for. Dumpstercnc.com is awesome and has super fast shipping. It's where I got my couplers/clamps/anti backlash nuts

There are DIY designs on this site for making anti-backlash ACME nuts yourself, but it's hard to beat the ones from DumpsterCNC. Three or four of them from DumpsterCNC on a bare budget build seems excessive, but it will affect your cut quality enough to justify the expense. I have used them on two builds and have had no problems related to the nuts.
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com