586,119 active members*
3,655 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking for a Driver and breakout board

Hi everyone,
    I am looking for an driver and breakout board for my 3A steppers it is 6 leads bipolar
    I had very bad experience with Tb6560 based driver so I am looking for something more reliable

Is this one is good
    Luc's THB6064AH driver
    But I can't understand what are the components of its breakout board it seems like it just connecting a LPT and a 5V regulator?

Can you recommend on a driver and breakout board that will suit my steppers?

Thank you!

The 6064 is a far better driver for bipolar steppers than the 6560, but at $35 an axis plus BOB it's creeping up?

I believe these chips are a much more adequate design, and better suited to cnc.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

It is a bit expensive but I can't see another alternative for good drivers for the same price

Your experience with the cheap TB6560 was even more expensive: money without result = wasted.
    Pay a bit more for a well designed drive and BOB with garanteed support.
    There are several flavours of design for you to chose the one wich suits you best.
    Open source CNC electronics and accessories:
    http://users.skynet.be/ldt/CNC%20electronics/THB6064AH.html

Note the price is $30 each when buying 3 or more. And the price is what it is because we use quality components. The current sense resistors and big power cap are examples; high quality, more costly, worth it.

The BOB is simple, and it works. And it's not just connections and power: It also hosts a relay driver for the spindle. My experience is that opto-isolation causes more problems than it solves, but if you want a compatible open source BOB with opto-isolation, check the PMinMO.com site.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)