586,392 active members*
2,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

M520 where to enter G54 pos?

Hi, total noob with a VMC, been battling it for a while, I've got DNC working via RS232, I wrote a post for my CAM package, registered a bunch of tools in the chain and put in offsets, can home machine and run a prog.. but in wrong place!

Feels like I'm nearly there now but obviously having trouble with work offsets. Not sure if best to enter direct in 'work' offsets page, use a G54 MDI line or similar, or zero DROs, or a combo of these. Manuals don't seem that helpful, I guess they assume a base level of knowledge above mine! What I'd ideally like is to jog to my work origin and zero the DROs or at least enter zeroes somewhere. And to know that the machine is already applying the tool length offset to the current tool as I'm touching off.

Can anyone tell me what their work offset procedure is on their machine? I'm using spindle face gauge line for positive tool offsets, by the way. Thanks for any tips!

HI Steve,
    I have a Mighty comet with the M520. My procedure for work offset (G54) is to find the corner of the work-piece. I use one of these.Haff & Schneider GmbH & Co. OHG, Nesselwang - 3D-Taster - Rotoklick - Vorrichtungsbau - Powerfix - Präzisionsmechanik
    You would open the offset page (Tool parameters Button) then press the work button. Here you will find the page to set your work offset positions for x, y, and z. I find then enter the X axis edge first, then the y axis second. I leave the z axis alone unless my workpiece thickness varies.

In your G-code program you then can call your G54 and it will be relative to the corner you set as zero.

hope that helps